corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Snow Day] What if I get hit?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author [Snow Day] What if I get hit?
Bart

User status: Offline
6th Jan 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I might pop out to get some food, except I got to the bottom of my road and the car litterally wouldnt move.
I spent an hour trying to get it out the middle of the road and only just managed it.

I managed to move the car to the side of the road, but on a corner, a nice prime spot to get hit by any on coming traffic.

If someone was to hit me, would they be at fault?
Although its not parked in a space, its in a cul de sac on the side of the road, with no markings (non public highway).

Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 10 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone drives in to you, its their fault.

Perhaps you might be negligent in some way but I'm not clear how you might hit a parked car and blame the person who parked the car.
LukeS

6th Jan 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because he's parked on the corner?
oceansoul

6th Jan 10 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if they hit you then drive off. Its just happened to a mate of mine
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 10 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but the car is stopped. Doesn't really matter how its parked, if you hit something that's stopped you can't really complain. I'm actually not sure how the law works but I'm thinking about it in terms of how much damage you each do to each others car.

If you have a head on crash, you do damage to the other guys car, therefore you are to blame.

If you're parked, you do no damage.

Not sure that is how an insurer would look at it.
Robbo

6th Jan 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if youre parked on a street corner/junction etc then you are parked ilegally, anmyone hitting you isnt liable... i know this as it happened to a friend
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th Jan 10 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of people were whacking cars and carrying on last night that's your problem!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 10 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if I want to fix a scratch on my bumper, I go out and find cars parked illegally and drive in to them and get a new bumper? That can't be right surely, else I'm getting a new bumper at some point later today.
AndyKent

6th Jan 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its pretty likely the driver, not the owner of the parked car will be liable. The trouble is, as said, whats to stop them driving off without telling anyone.
Bonney

6th Jan 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't the person who parked the car not get prosecuted for causing an obstruction?
AndyKent

6th Jan 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Abandoned due to snow? I doubt it.

Maybe if they parked in a totally stupid place which was an accident waiting to happen (on a blind junction or something).
Bart

6th Jan 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Abandoned due to snow? I doubt it.

Maybe if they parked in a totally stupid place which was an accident waiting to happen (on a blind junction or something).

Thats kinda what I thought.

Paul_J

6th Jan 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said though, these cars are sliding into other cars on their journey... the drivers arent getting out and leaving their number (it'd get soggy anyway) ...

If someone hits your car - chances are they'll keep driving!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Snow Day] What if I get hit? 24 database queries in 0.0952690 seconds