corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » One final question (Amplifier & Subs)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author One final question (Amplifier & Subs)
16vJamie

User status: Offline
19th Jan 10 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry that i've been asking so many questions recently but I was wondering if I would be able to keep my current sub wired up to my amp (model number KAC-716) and also wire 2 6x9 speakers to it aswell? I have no clue how many channels my amp is and I was wondering if anyone knows if it has enough channels to hold my current sub plus some extra 6x9s or if there is another way to do it.

Also I know that my amp isn't very good and therefore would it still sound decent if I have sub and 6x9s wired up to this amp as i don't have the money for a new one.

Thanks
Root

19th Jan 10 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not bitching, but you'll get more replies if you posted in the help zone.

Your amp is 4 channel. That means you could connect 2 subwoofers and 2 speakers, or 2 sets of speakers (4 speakers).

But if you run too much power from the amp, it'll drain the RMS power output, and the quality of the sound will be dog shite. Erm, if I was you, I would have a mono channel amp (usually designed for subwoofers unless they're just shit), and use that to power the subwoofer and use a seperate 4 channel amp with a decent RMS rating to power 2, maybe 4 6x9 speakers, the quality will be much better...

I think that amp will struggle to power the subwoofer and 6x9 speakers proeprly, it will do it...but it might sound shit and probably will.

Connect it up at low volume, test it, if they both seem to work, that's all good, then turn it up, it'll sound awful, then connect JUST the 6x9 speakers and notice how much better they will sound on their own without the subwoofer sharing the RMS.
corsabsonny

19th Jan 10 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 channel has + and - connections for 2 speakers 4 channel has + and - connections for 4 speakers, if its a 4 channel then yes if its a two channel u can bridge the channels over and run all 4 but it will sound wanky tbh id save for a bigger amp first rather than waste your time
Root

19th Jan 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsabsonny
2 channel has + and - connections for 2 speakers 4 channel has + and - connections for 4 speakers, if its a 4 channel then yes if its a two channel u can bridge the channels over and run all 4 but it will sound wanky tbh id save for a bigger amp first rather than waste your time

if he uses too powerful of an amp though and runs it just on the speakers, it could blow his speakers. if i was him, use the amp he has now for the 6x9 speakers and get another amp for the subwoofer.
Neo

19th Jan 10 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In short, No.

Its a 2 channel, which if you have wired the sub up correctly you will be using the left from one channel and the right from the other channel.

Also, you can't put more than 25w into the amp so make sure the imput sensitivity is set correctly.

I.e. if your Hu is 50w per channel you'll need the input sensitivity set to less than 50%

It also only has a max output of 240w, which iirc you said you have a 1000w...can you be a bit more specific what model you have ?

If i was you get a good amp for the sub and use this for the 6 x 9's
Neo

19th Jan 10 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
Your amp is 4 channel

I can only find the KAC-716 as a 2 channel
16vJamie

19th Jan 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks alot for the replies guys, I think I will find a mono amp to wire up my sub and use my current amp to power my 6x9s.

Let me know if this wouldnt be a good idea otherwise ill give this a try

Thanks alot.
Neo

19th Jan 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
Your amp is 4 channel

I can only find the KAC-716 as a 2 channel

Just been searching more, definately a 2 channel.

Root

19th Jan 10 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bad, lol. sorry guys
corsabsonny

19th Jan 10 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

if he uses too powerful of an amp though and runs it just on the speakers, it could blow his speakers. if i was him, use the amp he has now for the 6x9 speakers and get another amp for the subwoofer.

he didnt ask if it would blow his speakers he asked if he could wire up 4 speakers
Root

19th Jan 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

he didnt ask if it would blow his speakers he asked if he could wire up 4 speakers

he asked for advice mate and that's what we're giving him. But if you want to talk like a dick, yes, he can wire up 4 speakers, he can wire up 20 off that 2 channel amp if he wanted...but i doubt it will work at all.

it's like someone saying, will my car run off 5 litres of diesel and 35 litres of petrol?

the answer is yes in most cases, but unless you're a dickhead, you're also gonna tell them not to do it.

[Edited on 19-01-2010 by Root]
corsabsonny

19th Jan 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how am i talking like a dick? he asked can he wire 4 speakers to his amp, i said if its a 4 channel yes if its 2 channel yes but u have to bridge, said nothin that isnt true or whatever so how am i being a dick
Root

19th Jan 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
how am i talking like a dick? he asked can he wire 4 speakers to his amp, i said if its a 4 channel yes if its 2 channel yes but u have to bridge, said nothin that isnt true or whatever so how am i being a dick

quote:
Originally posted by corsabsonnyhe didnt ask if it would blow his speakers he asked if he could wire up 4 speakers

by talking like that. I was giving him advice not to get an amp too powerful is he does opt to get another as that one won't be happy to power a sub and some 6x9 speakers. You'll have more resistance to deal with and a lot less power than getting another amp, that's all I was saying.

[Edited on 19-01-2010 by Root]
Dom

19th Jan 10 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amp is two channels and will currently be bridged for the sub. As others have suggested, get yourself a monoblock for your Sub and then use the Kenwood for your 6x9s. However, personally i would ditch your 6x9s as the only way to make 6x9s sound remotely decent is to box them - a few CS'ers (think Richie was running boxed 6x9s for a while) will back me up. Instead get a decent set of coaxial if they're going in the back. And I wouldn't even worry about the back until your have the sound stage at the front sorted - ie: decent coaxial or components.

Also regarding what wattage amp you should go for, always aim for 100w (or so) more than what the speakers continuous rating (and just turn the gain on the amp down). ie - if your sub has a continuous rating of 300w, get a 400w (continuous rating) monoblock. Reason for this is because amps distort (sinewave becomes squared) at the upper limits and distortion kills coils.

If you can borrow a (oscillo)scope then it's worth setting it up properly - ie: measure the Headunits preouts and work out the max volume before distortion kicks in, then measure the speaker outputs and keep increasing the amps gain until distortion hits.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » One final question (Amplifier & Subs) 23 database queries in 0.0178680 seconds