corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » SAI and EGR

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SAI and EGR
jibjob

User status: Offline
7th Feb 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firstly, what is missing from the middle of the exhaust manifold in this pic? Is it the SAI? Do i need it? Can i blank off the holes that are left? Its a 1995 GSI engine without power steering.

Secondly, where can i get an EGR blanking gasket from or is it easier just to make my own from a bit of spare metal? What else will i need to do other than bolt the gasket on? Where to i leave the valve/will the EML light go off/If the EGR is broken will i still need to replace it/etc. After a google search it also seems that most people say i need to get the ECU reprogrammed for it to make a good difference, is that true? Also on Migweb some people have said it has wrecked their engines and that it shouldn't be done unless youre using aftermarket management. Can anyone give me a proper definition of when it should be done, how it should be done properly, what im going to lose/gain from it. It seems that all stories are conflicting depending on where you look and who you speak to. I just need a definate definition.

Thirdly, my car is hesitant when giving it a bit of throttle so im going to blank the EGR off and see if that does it but if its not that then what could it be? Ive found no air leaks, fuel leaks or anything like that and it only does it occasionally and when i give it a decent amount of throttle from low revs.

[Edited on 07-02-2010 by jibjob]

barneykarl

7th Feb 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The hole at front is where the sai was you have to blank this just use some metal and gasket I will post a pic of mine soon 10 min job, you can remove the egr at rear/ below inlet manifold and blank that of aswell but egr must be ok and still connected or you will get eml, forget about going near the ecu, best mod you can do looking at yours is fit powerbox and you can sort the egr and sai out then.
barneykarl

7th Feb 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hole blanked
jibjob

7th Feb 10 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. The SAI has already been removed and i think the EGR is giving up so im going to have to get a new EGR anyway just wondering whether it was worth blanking it off while i was there. Im going to have to blank the SAI off though unless i buy a new one.
barneykarl

7th Feb 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just blank the sai do not waste money on a new one , the important one is the egr this is a pain if I had a pound for every egr enquiry on here I would be rich, blank the egr and fit a new egr on top of the blanking plate/gasket and keep it connected to stop eml coming on . like I said fit a power box even a 1.4 will be happy with one.
jibjob

7th Feb 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I heard vauxhall do EGR blanking plates is that the only place that does them? Or i read that you can just cut up beer cans/coke cans. Im hoping to get a power box but lack of funds doesnt help Can you get to the EGR from the top if you remove the upper inlet? What did you use to blank off your SAI?
barneykarl

7th Feb 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes vaux do one the part number is on here somewhere, but just get some mild steel 2/3mm cut to shape easy job. remove battery and tray , top manifold to get to egr, one of the two.. bolts is a sod to get to hope you have small hands.

[Edited on 07-02-2010 by barneykarl]
jibjob

7th Feb 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem ill try and find some mild steel and have ago at doing it. Cheers for the help mate
Richardhhha

7th Feb 10 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll need to remove top half of the manifold, throttle body, coolant bottle, battery, then you can see it.

they are torx 40 bolts and the one thats most behind the EGR is the bugger to get to.. if you had a power box you have more room but thats for later

as for the blanking plate, i've made some that you just unbolt the EGR slide the plate in with the gasket and bolt it back up.. your going to have to make sure the EGR is in good working order as the ECU needs to read that it works or the EML will come on and it wont run its best..

and you dont need 2/3mm steel that would be a total wanker to cut tbh 1mm to 1.5mm will be suficiant
barneykarl

7th Feb 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Richards right about the thickness, I just had the use of tools at work made it easy, but tin snips will cut up what you need no problem.

[Edited on 07-02-2010 by barneykarl]
Sean-B

8th Feb 10 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Questions about SAI and EGR really are becoming non stop!
jibjob

9th Feb 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
Questions about SAI and EGR really are becoming non stop!

I would of thought the EGR would have been either broken or working but mine appears to be working some of the time and not others so might just need cleaning. As for the SAI i never had one on my 8v and this one never came and it not a part i can say ive ever had to change so im not that clued up on them

New Poll