corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motocrossers...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motocrossers...
Tom B

User status: Offline
8th Feb 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided im gonna get back into racing again recently sold my 2000 rm125 and im looking for another bike. Was thinking of Honda CRF250, my friend has just bought a 2010 model and has offered me his 08 plate for 2300 which is a good price as its very clean. But another friend has offered me an 06 RM250 2stroke for 1800 which has also been looked after. Im used to the riding style of a 2 stroke but im in a bit of a dillemma any suggestions?
DizzyRebel

8th Feb 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

250 stroker takes a lot of taming, i could do 10 laps on a 125 but after 5 or 6 on a 250 stroker id have mad arm pump.

4 stroke is the way to go nowadays, but the 250 class is a horsepower race so unless you have deep pockets to tune it then your safest bet will be a crf450 or ktm 450 mx
K3 VMU

8th Feb 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CRF250 all day long,

RM250 is a good bike too.

i am biased towards Honda though as thats all i ve had.
4 stroke is the way forward, Honda dont even build 2 strokes anymore.

DizzyRebel

8th Feb 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
CRF250 all day long,

Its a shame really as 2 strokes are much better to ride and sound and smell better... fucking ama banning them!

Honda never have been good at building 2 strokes anyway, yamaha are the dogs when it comes to 2 strokes!
K3 VMU

8th Feb 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i used to love my cr250

its the feeling of ringing a 2 strokes neck all the time thats good about them.
4 stroke is hard work!

never actually had a shot of a yz but i had a friend who used to swear by them.

Ash_sx125

8th Feb 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:
CRF250 all day long,

Its a shame really as 2 strokes are much better to ride and sound and smell better... fucking ama banning them!

Honda never have been good at building 2 strokes anyway, yamaha are the dogs when it comes to 2
strokes!

AMA never banned 2 strokes it was the jap manufacturers forcing they're teams to ride 4strokes, all the other teams followed so they could keep up.
AMA are the ones trying to allow 250 strokes to race with 250f's, which is fair.

as regards the OP, id say go for the RM, put a flywheel weight on it to tame the power a little and you'll be sorted, will be alot cheaper to maintain and repair, should the engine to kaput.
Wrighty

8th Feb 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how is it fair a 250f races in the same class as a 250 stroker when theyre complete different power outputs.
Tom B

8th Feb 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 Strokes are alot cheaper to fix than the 4 stroke but they do go alot more, and another thing that puts me off the rm250 is ill be racing with a load of 450s tearing me apart lol
Ollie_B

8th Feb 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will you be going into the AMCA?, thats what i race in on the YZ250f, and we go to tracks in the west midlands, might see you around! I'de go for the CRF250 if you havent rode for a while, as the 2 strokes are vicious bastards lol. and yep in the amca its 125 2 strokes, against 250 4 strokes, and 250 2 strokes against 450 4 strokes.
DizzyRebel

8th Feb 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_sx125
quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:
CRF250 all day long,

Honda never have been good at building 2 strokes anyway, yamaha are the dogs when it comes to 2
strokes!

AMA never banned 2 strokes it was the jap manufacturers forcing they're teams to ride 4strokes, all the other teams followed so they could keep up.
AMA are the ones trying to allow 250 strokes to race with 250f's, which is fair.

as regards the OP, id say go for the RM, put a flywheel weight on it to tame the power a little and you'll be sorted, will be alot cheaper to maintain and repair, should the engine to kaput.

Pretty sure ama in america brought out noise regs or emissions regs that outlawed the use of 2 strokes. and since the us are the biggest MX consumers the manufacturers stopped developing them, honda are the only manufacturer who dont make new strokers.

2 strokes are cheaper to fix, just re- ring them at the required intervals and you should get plenty of meetings out of one piston. 4 strokes still require timely maintenance, the piston assy is twice as expensive to replace and still needs doing hourly. plus they will need a full overhaul every season with the full valvetrain and top end needing to be replaced and that costs a fortune.
Tom B

9th Feb 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ollie_B
Will you be going into the AMCA?, thats what i race in on the YZ250f, and we go to tracks in the west midlands, might see you around! I'de go for the CRF250 if you havent rode for a while, as the 2 strokes are vicious bastards lol. and yep in the amca its 125 2 strokes, against 250 4 strokes, and 250 2 strokes against 450 4 strokes.

Yeah just joined Teme Valley in Amca

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motocrossers... 23 database queries in 0.0110049 seconds