corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Euromillions Reminder

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Euromillions Reminder
Paul_J

User status: Offline
13th Feb 10 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Rosco

Paul ?

Is THIS you ?

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Captain_Rosco]

My twitter would suggest yes

My bank account would suggest no
Limecat
Banned

13th Feb 10 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
screw it, I'm gonna buy a ticket now... I know the chance of me winning is so slim, but f*ck it.

1 in 76,275,360

and in reply to Neo...

Thing is, you don't have as much chance as any one else.

if there's a syndicate at a big company... Say 1000 lines... it's then 76,000 ish to 1. A lot more likely than me winning.

I've always thought, how cool it'd be if someone bought say 100,000 tickets of normal lottery or whatever.

e.g. £500,000 spent on lottery tickets for £113 mil jackpot... worth while investment and makes the odds only 153 to 1.

However, this is what always gets me...
Flipping a coin is 50:50... 2 to 1.

If I said to you, bet £500,000 on the next coin flip being heads, it wouldn't be a particularly safe bet and you'd definately feel there's quite a probable chance you may lose.

so 153 to 1... is still very unlikely!

Not as simple as you are claiming. You have no grasp of maths.

Yeah good one, GCSE, A-Level and the modules in maths from my degree would say otherwise.

I think you've mis read what i was saying

The two points I was trying to make were:

1. Ok, every ticket has the same chance of winning, but not 'every person' has the same chance, as people who hold more tickets technically have a greater probability - despite each ticket held having the same probability.

and.

2. I was saying that even if you bought £500,000 tickets, the chance of winning is still very remote.

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Paul_J]

Nice edit but you are still wrong.
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go on then.
Limecat
Banned

13th Feb 10 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will give you a clue...1000 tickets doesn't drop the figures laterally as you claim. I am a bit shit-faced at present so will explain it tomorrow afternoon! lmao
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
I will give you a clue...1000 tickets doesn't drop the figures laterally as you claim. I am a bit shit-faced at present so will explain it tomorrow afternoon! lmao

Yeah, I'm not claiming the maths in working out the probabilty is correct... as I said in that last post:

The two points I was trying to make were:

1. Ok, every ticket has the same chance of winning, but not 'every person' has the same chance, as people who hold more tickets technically have a greater probability - despite each ticket held having the same probability.

and.

2. I was saying that even if you bought £500,000 tickets, the chance of winning is still very remote.
Paul_J

13th Feb 10 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm...

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.prob.world.html

suggests I was right?

quote:
What would happen if you bought 7 million tickets?

If you picked a different combination of six numbers for each of those 7 million tickets, you'd have 7 million of the possible winning combinations and the numerator of your probability fraction would therefore be 7 million. Given the second lottery, with a sample space of 14 million possible combinations, the probability of winning the lottery is 7 million/14 million, a probability of 50%.

<<  2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Euromillions Reminder 23 database queries in 0.0116789 seconds