corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Building Regs in reality

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Building Regs in reality
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Feb 10 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In order to adhere to new building regs when we fit our log burning stove, we're technically meant to involve them - however, as we're lining an existing chimney and the hearth already meets all of the new regs is it even worth bothering.

We've got to involve them for our extensions later on, but I can't be arsed with the hassle at the minute for the want of dropping a flexible flue liner and back filling with vermiculite (incidentally the new regs don't even mention insulating the gap between the liner and existing flue).

I know a few people deal with planners/building regs on here; will it cause me major problems down the line if I don't involve them now?

[Edited on 12-02-2010 by LiVe LeE]
AndyKent

12th Feb 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are genuinely doing everything by the book, and using all the correct materials in the right places I wouldn't worry about getting them involved now if you don't want to.

Take photos and record what you're installing before everything gets covered over.

When you involve them later on, I wouldn't mention the issue unless they do. If they do, you'll have all the proof you need to keep them happy.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Feb 10 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's what I was planning to do; apparently the local building regs surveyors are down to earth guys so shouldn't have an issue. I'll keep the receipts as well.
AndyKent

12th Feb 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they're sound guys and you're upfront about what you've done when/if they ask, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Its when shoddy builders are obviously hiding something that they might ask them to rip out walls to see
a_j_mair

12th Feb 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have had problems with works carried out some 18 years ago with no approvals coming abck to bite. Was only a small extension but had to be gutted and insulated upto todays standards even though it was built years ago. This was only picked up by a solicotr when the property was being sold, incidently not the first time since the work had been done.

You should really, if you are planning to do works on an extension just put it in all under the one application.

if you arent doing the extension for a while just add the stove onto the proposed drawings, make sure you have pictures and any necesary certification and should be fine.

Technically speaking though, you should inform building control
sigibbons

12th Feb 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just give them a call, more than likely they won't even want to see it anyway.

New Poll