corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » sat navs.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author sat navs.
Ben G

User status: Offline
13th Feb 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i somehow manged to lose my tom tom classic (probably stolen) so i now need to buy a new one.

problem is, theres so many different tom tom's on the market nowadays i'm lost as to what i need.

i'd like one i can update so it warns me about new speed cameras (which my old one didn't) and one i can use in europe. would this one suffice?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5042379.htm

also, whats the live feature on the others?

don't really want to use any other brands as i'm so used to the simpleness of the tomtom now.
nathy_87

13th Feb 10 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got the tom tom xl classic. Cost £130 from halfrauds, and is fantastic, it's got the foreign maps on and everything also i can update it when it needs be.

The live feature (got to pay a bit extra), updates traffic information on the main roads etc, not worth it imo.

Just don't get one of them carry cases, there shite, when the sat-nav is in the zip won't do up properly, i wasted £20.
Simon

13th Feb 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The traffic live thing is just an aerial that you plug in but it is good, tells you all traffic problems on your route, how long the wait is and can re-direct you to find a quicker route, comet were giving it free with all tomtoms when I got mine, not sure how much it is separately, I think it's pretty good
Kurt

13th Feb 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like my garmin nuvi 205, dead simple to use, decent graphics and you can change your little car to pretty much anything

Not bad at all for sub £100
Dom

13th Feb 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some chinese £50 thing from the 'bay, just had to update TomTom to the latest version, upgrade the maps and added the latest speed cameras from PocketGPSWorld.com (torrent it). Certainly works just as well as my brothers TomTom 750

edit - TomTom have two different methods for getting Traffic info, one is to use your mobile to grab the info from the web which works, the other is to use the TMC aerial (as Simon said) which rarely works on my brothers TomTom (in Europe we couldn't get it to work at all).

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Dom]
l15ter

13th Feb 10 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo
Just don't get one of them carry cases, there shite, when the sat-nav is in the zip won't do up properly, i wasted £20.

i got one and it works fine
nathy_87

13th Feb 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by l15ter
quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo

i got one and it works fine

Its the zip it doesn't catch properly all the time.
deano87

13th Feb 10 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got a Tom Tom One v3, I think. European mapping. Can be updated for a year for free. Can't fault it.
steve_turbo

13th Feb 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Real drivers stay old skool A-Z ftw!!
Ben G

13th Feb 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went for that one in argos, paid an extra 20 quid for a case and when i got home the zip was broke
x14xe sport

13th Feb 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
went for that one in argos, paid an extra 20 quid for a case and when i got home the zip was broke

taylorboosh

13th Feb 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my vec has 1 built in but i always think tom tom is the best
Andrew

13th Feb 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TomTom decided to burn himself to death 8 days ago. Was a bit pissed off with Tom after that and throw him in the bin this morning. We've spent the last couple of years side by side most days and will be sadly missed.

Purchased a Garmin nuvi 205 Widescreen in Halfords for £89 last Monday. Used a handful of times over the past week and cannot fault it. Does what i require: SatNav and Speed Camera detector. Halfords wanted a bit more for TomToms and people off here advised that Garmin were pretty good.

I was looking into more expensive versions of TomTom last weekend but i'm always in and out the van / my car when working and will just get bashed about a little.

My mate lend me his SatNav last weekend and i have to say DO NOT buy one of those My Guide SavNav off eBay / supermarkets. They are totally rubbish. Come Monday i lent my sisters Binatone SatNav - she needs a slap for paying £80 for that.

Garmin or TomTom are brilliant. My job would be a lot harder without one of these by my side.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » sat navs. 23 database queries in 0.0138910 seconds