corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » any painters/body repairers on here?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author any painters/body repairers on here?
Bobber123

User status: Offline
13th Feb 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the o/s/r arch on my astra mk4 is nackerd,
the previous owner scuffed it on a bollard and its quite squashed,
i could filler it but i dont think ill be able to get a perfect finish as its quite mis shaped

would it be possible to cut the arch off an astra at the scrap yard and cut the nackerd one off my car and weld the new arch on?
ive not done any courses in body repair but im pretty good at metalwork and stuff so is it possible?

the reason im asking is im unemployed and cant afford to have it repaired professionally

cheers,
Rob.

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Bobber123]
Scottix

13th Feb 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u weld another one on ud stil have to filler it to get the perfect finish and if ur going to weld it ud have to braze weld it cos the heat from normal welding would warp the metal
Cole

13th Feb 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

braze weld it why would you do that normal welding will be fine and before you ask body repairs is what i do for a living

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Cole]
ed

13th Feb 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's not a really deep scratch you could pull the dent out without replacing any of the panel.
Bobber123

13th Feb 10 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it needs replacing, the arch is creased quite bad round the lip
scottyp1989

13th Feb 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not just buy a new one, you can get them for around £20, think i paid 24 for the one for my estate. atleast you now it will be straight and good condition then, if not send it back get it replaced
Bobber123

13th Feb 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not a bad idea, how much do you have to cut out though? im only after raplacing the lip and not a load of the rear quarter
scottyp1989

13th Feb 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can just cut out as much as you need mate, the repair pannels only come as the arch anyway not the whole quarter
Graeme
Premium Member

13th Feb 10 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get some pics up, will be alot easier to tell you then but what you have described sounds like you will be able to pull most of it out or if you can get behind then nock it out, duno how far up the inner arch starts on the mk4.
Bobber123

13th Feb 10 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have already hammerd it back out a bit but there is some pretty tight creases in it, if i had the right shaping tools i could probably get it sort of close but im limited to a few different shaped hammers
ill get a pic up asap
Graeme
Premium Member

13th Feb 10 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah a good set of hammers and dollys make a massive difference some times.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » any painters/body repairers on here? 23 database queries in 0.0101008 seconds