corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MOT Rip off!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT Rip off!
Miner

User status: Offline
   10th Mar 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Told you'z I'd keep u'z up to date on my mot dilemma. Car was re-tested by the foreman at Park's Jaguar who stay's over the back from my dad & is definately on the level. He re-tested my car & it passed, he said that the wheel bearing was a wee bit loose & a wee bit noisy but it definately wasn't an mot failure! All he did was grease it & adjust it whilst the garage in my town told me it was knackered & needed replaced & I almost felt bad for tearing the guy's head off & telling him he was talking shite! I was happy to pay £40 for the guy to re-mot it, rather than let someone rip me off for £40. Word of warning though, they had a new emmission machine & it almost failed cos he couldn't get the reading to drop quick enuf! He blamed the straight thru exhaust (centre section has auxiliary cat app!) & induction kit (wich is pretty dirty) So the moral of this post kiddies is that unless you can find a good, honest mechanic/ Holy grail (Delete as app!) Get yourself sum tools & do it yourself!

[Edited on 10-03-2003 by Miner]
Meat-Pie-SRI

10th Mar 03 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welcome to the real world!!!
ainsley_brader

10th Mar 03 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you paid someone £40 to grease a knackered wheel bearing rather than pay someone £40 to replace it which you will end up doing anyway!

Ainsley

[Edited on Monday 10th March 2003 by ainsley_brader]
Miner

10th Mar 03 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
So you paid someone £40 to grease a knackered wheel bearing rather than pay someone £40 to replace it which you will end up doing anyway!

Ainsley

Yes, wheel bearing will need replaced eventually but it's far from fuked yet! If it was it would've bn replaced. If I tell you I paid £4 for a new bearing which I can fit myself & that the garage in question get their parts from the same suppliers we do would you still want to give someone £40 to replace it? Even if it wasn't an mot failure & the garage was trying to make a quick skin out of you? Fuk that! On sheer pricipal I would rather take my car to someone I knew was straight up & give them £40 quid to re-mot it than give £40 to someone who tried to rip me off!
corsa_pro
Banned

10th Mar 03 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad is a mechanic and he does not charge £40 for an MOT!!!!! he charges £18 per MOT, and if it does not pass, then it has 14 days to get right and has a free re-test!
ainsley_brader

10th Mar 03 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£39 is the department of transports maximum price for class 4s (most cars are class 4) but you can charge less.

It often varys due to supply ie in town you may pay down to £20 but further out in the ciuntry where theres only 1 testing station in the village you will pay full whack.

/most places allow 14 days for a free retest and in fact a free retest must be allowed on certain items.

however in 90% of cases a test station has the right to charge for a retest.

Ainsley
Stu_22

10th Mar 03 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some one told me to take it too a truck MOT test station as they can not refuse to test your car and they want be really picky on repairs as they want do them.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MOT Rip off! 24 database queries in 0.0116580 seconds