corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How do I time up an engine?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do I time up an engine?
Root

User status: Offline
26th Feb 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of you will know already, I snapped the cambelt, then, not knowing why the car died, turned the key, spinning the bottom end.

Since then, the bottom pulley has been removed to replace the cambelt etc but we've discovered that most components in the head are nakkered.

So my question is, once I source a new head (where the valve timing could be anywhere), how on earth do I time up both ends correctly? Ignition timing is one thing, but this is another... cheers
AlexW

26th Feb 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While the head is off get the Number 1 piston to TDC, and then the cog should line up with a mark on the sump presuming its the same as one i did a while ago.

Top end, cam pully mark points straight up from memory, should be marked on the back plate or similar.

I presume its a 8v anyway?

16v is totaly diff.

Haynes manual FTW
Root

26th Feb 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
While the head is off get the Number 1 piston to TDC, and then the cog should line up with a mark on the sump presuming its the same as one i did a while ago.

Top end, cam pully mark points straight up from memory, should be marked on the back plate or similar.

I presume its a 8v anyway?

16v is totaly diff.

Haynes manual FTW

yer, 1.2 8v C12NZ

will it be the same though? Actually, the new head will come with the camshaft etc attached.
Root

26th Feb 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw, the bottom pulley has been taken off so when I put it back on, how will I know whether the mark on the cog will match the one on the sump correctly when #1 is at TDC?
AlexW

26th Feb 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a 1.2 then it should be valve safe?!

Its as i said, the cog (The one the belt sits on) should have a mark pointing at sump if its as i remember, if not just sit the pully in place and turn it until it lines up.

BTW turn it by jacking up one side of the car, putting it in gear and turning the wheel in the air.
Root

26th Feb 10 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if its a 1.2 then it should be valve safe?!

Its as i said, the cog (The one the belt sits on) should have a mark pointing at sump if its as i remember, if not just sit the pully in place and turn it until it lines up.

BTW turn it by jacking up one side of the car, putting it in gear and turning the wheel in the air.

that's what i thought. It's using hydraulic valves and I thought it was a 'safe' engine but apparently not.

you mean jacking up the passenger side wheel (shortest driveshaft)?
btw that cog is currently on my passenger seat you know, I took it off to replace waterpump. Does it only go back on one way?
Root

26th Feb 10 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw sorry i'm a bit of a tard
AlexW

26th Feb 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drivers side would be best as then you have better access to the engine

All the bottom pully stuff only goes on one way so you cant get the timing wrong.

Best way for you mate is spend a few quid on a haynes manual, your understand it better than trying to understand what im saying.
Root

26th Feb 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Drivers side would be best as then you have better access to the engine

All the bottom pully stuff only goes on one way so you cant get the timing wrong.

Best way for you mate is spend a few quid on a haynes manual, your understand it better than trying to understand what im saying.

already got one. Nah, I'm just trying to get my head round it mate, that's all.

Now I understand that the bottom pulley will only go on one way, I know I can't get the bottom end wrong, just match the two small arrows or indents, whatever you wanna call them on the pulley and wherever else (will read it up).

I was just quite confused about the top end because I'm gonna be buying a new head...so the top end pulley only goes on one way too? I've seen the timing mark for the top end btw. So if the top pulley only goes on one way so the arrow specifically points in 1 direction only, that means it's a piece of piss rocking the car back and forward in gear to get the top end to align up so the arrow points upwards (tdc). So no matter what way the camshafts are facing/pointing etc...the pulley will only mate with the camshaft in a way that shows which way it is (the camshaft) facing through the mark on the pulley and the one on the timing mark? that's very easy to do the timing then... cheers
AlexW

26th Feb 10 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, turn the top end by a spanner on the camshaft (remove the cam cover), once its in the right place, slip on the belt and tension it up.

Root

26th Feb 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yea, turn the top end by a spanner on the camshaft (remove the cam cover), once its in the right place, slip on the belt and tension it up.

Alright matey, cheers a bundle!!

New Poll