corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B 1.2 16v bent valves? (X12XE)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B 1.2 16v bent valves? (X12XE)
Lee H

User status: Offline
   26th Feb 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missus went to start her car for work Monday morning (was fine when parked up Sunday night) and it fired up sounding like it was on three cylinders and then cut out.

Managed to restart it and engine was making major rattling noise from the top end and wouldn't idle at all. Sounds like there is a compression problem when its cranking over as well. Took the plugs out and the end of plug three was missing its centre electrode and the insulator was loose.

I'm guessing the engine has bent valves for whatever reason and the valve has hit the plug and wiped it out maybe but puzzled as to what could have caused it from starting the car up? Engine has only done 55k miles btw.

How hard is it to set the timing chain on one of these engines as i'm pretty sure the head is going to have to come off?

Any help or advice appreciated.
Root

26th Feb 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same boat pretty much.

It's a timing BELT on these, iirc it's only the 1.0 that has a chain. Basically, the bottom pulley uses a mark on the piece of plastic cam cover to determine TDC. The top has a mark on the pulley and cam cover also. Quite easy to do, put it in gear and rock the car back and forth etc.
Lee H

26th Feb 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This one is definitely a chain, i've started stripping it down.
AlexW

26th Feb 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, basically the same engine as a 1.0!

Just done a 1.0 myself. Your need locking tools for timing it up after (Lock the cams, crankshaft and also to set the camshaft sensor, tools are about £30 iirc) and also check for wear on the cogs as they do wear.

Your need to remove the sump to get the cover off as the timing chain cover has a couple of bits in the sump area.

Dont think there is much more you need to know?
ecclesturbo

26th Feb 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got a full head here if interested
Lee H

26th Feb 10 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will try and get the head off this tomorrow and see what the damage is.

I'm not worried about the head part and have done loads of engine work before but never a timing chain and it looks scary.
AlexW

26th Feb 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol says the person with the let.

I was in the same boat, but its acually really simple! Haynes manual if in doubt.
Lee H

27th Feb 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a compression test and got 170, 170, 130, 170. Decided to take the head off and the valves aren't bent but the piston and head have took a bit of a battering.

Think compression is a bit low as the valve seats look to have taken a bit of the damage as well so valves may not be seating right.

New engine time I think.
Root

27th Feb 10 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best of luck

New Poll