corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mountain Bikers, need help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mountain Bikers, need help
22B

User status: Offline
5th Mar 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right Ive just gone out and bought a new hydraulic disc brake setup for my bike, now the problem is the disc doesnt seem to fit the hub on the wheel, it doesnt line up anywhere near, looks like I need a smaller hub. Are there any adapter kits out there or do I need a new disc?.

Dam pushbikes and the amount of stupid configurations, Would have thought there would be just one standard of mounting for disc brakes, hoping theres an adapter as I dont want to have to buy a new disc.

And another thing, it looks like I have to remove the grip to take off the old brake lever and to put the new one on, what a stupid system. Motocross bikes are a hell of a lot easier than mountain bikes.

heres a pic to show what I mean, havent managed to get the old disc off yet, as there is some stupid mounting system that has no bolts,

cant tell from the pics that well, but basically the disc is nowhere near to lining up on the old hub, help!
Wrighty

5th Mar 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 bolt discs are pretty much 'standard' fit, ie quite common. the disc looks to be fitted ok, whats not lining up? you missing anything from the kit?
22B

5th Mar 10 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
6 bolt discs are pretty much 'standard' fit, ie quite common. the disc looks to be fitted ok, whats not lining up? you missing anything from the kit?

sorry dont think my pics explained too well, the first pic is the old disc which I havent removed, when I placed the new disc over the old one, the mounting holes on the new disc dont line up anywhere near.
DaveyLC

5th Mar 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your original discs are specific to the hubs you are running..

You need new wheels with ISO 6 bolt fitments, or you need to use your new calipers with your old discs.
Jez_B

5th Mar 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As stated, the second disk is your standard disk dimensions, hole centres etc. Whereas your current disk is hub specific, did you buy a complete bike? perhaps a slighter cheaper brand?
22B

5th Mar 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jez_B
As stated, the second disk is your standard disk dimensions, hole centres etc. Whereas your current disk is hub specific, did you buy a complete bike? perhaps a slighter cheaper brand?

Its alrite, Ive sorted it now, managed to get an adapter, the bike itself is a Scott Voltage YZ, paid £400 in the sale a couple of years ago, nice frame just a few cheap bits on it. The hubs are Shimano so not the best but not the cheapest.

Anyone got any recommendations for good XC forks, around 120mm travel? I use the bike just for fitness for motocross but would like some better suspension on it as I do a lot of trail riding.
DaveyLC

5th Mar 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

motocross? Has it got an engine? lol!

120mm would be pointless on that frame.. go 80-100 MAX!

Depends on your budget really though. Some Rock Shox Reba's would be good, they start at about 270 quid new.

But again you'd be better off buying some cheaper second hand forks (manitou stance or something) and spending the money on some better wheels.
Jez_B

5th Mar 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look on CRC, these Tora's look ok. They seem to be having a few sales at the moment also.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13113
DaveyLC

5th Mar 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey they are heavier than my DJ forks
Jez_B

5th Mar 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Blimey they are heavier than my DJ forks

Didn't consider weight, just a quick suggestion. Rockshox are pretty good can't remember which ones i have without looking.
22B

5th Mar 10 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
motocross? Has it got an engine? lol!

120mm would be pointless on that frame.. go 80-100 MAX!

Depends on your budget really though. Some Rock Shox Reba's would be good, they start at about 270 quid new.

But again you'd be better off buying some cheaper second hand forks (manitou stance or something) and spending the money on some better wheels.

I wish it had an engine for the dam hills , I meant to say the mountain bike is a good training tool for motocross/enduro.

I wouldnt mind getting second hand if they are a decent enough fork, was looking at Marzocchi TST2

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=42266

like them, but someone said to me the Rock Shox reba are the way to go.

I wouldnt mind some new wheels, used to have a set of Halo Combat wheels a few years back and they were superb.
22B

5th Mar 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to say Ive got around £200.00 to spend
DaveyLC

5th Mar 10 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just bought some Marzocchi Bomber fourcross for £130 (£460 new) al though they need new seals and a service.

I would say buy a budget XC fork, suntour or something and spend the rest of your budget on some more modern wheels with proper ISO hubs
22B

5th Mar 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just bought some Marzocchi Bomber fourcross for £130 (£460 new) al though they need new seals and a service.

I would say buy a budget XC fork, suntour or something and spend the rest of your budget on some more modern wheels with proper ISO hubs

halo combats it is then, dont really want to buy budget forks so will look around and see what bargains I can find.
jacko198

5th Mar 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like it is center locking shimano style on the top pic, so that might be the problem
22B

5th Mar 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Looks like it is center locking shimano style on the top pic, so that might be the problem

Yer I got it off in the end and managed to get an adapter for the disc, new wheels will be one of the next purchases or suspension.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mountain Bikers, need help 23 database queries in 0.0148480 seconds