corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Heathrow Airport

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Heathrow Airport
Steve X16XE

User status: Offline
27th Apr 10 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hay guys and galls.

I've got to pick my sister up from Heathrow Airport on friday. The plane lands at 11am.

Want I want to know is,

1, How long will it take her to get to the pick-up point? She's flying from LA. I don't know if that'll make a difference.

2, Can I get in, pick her up and drive out without paying?

I have never driven to Heathrow Airport before and Google Earth Street Images can only tell me so much.
saj_123

27th Apr 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will talk a total of 2 minutes to get to the pick up point. Walk out of the luggage hall and into the main airport terminal and through 2 doors and then a 25 metre walk and that is the pick up point.

I don't think they will let you pick her up within the airport but if you are outside then they will let you. Put you can't park there stewards are always there getting you to move. You can circle though.
pow
Premium Member

27th Apr 10 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once she's collected her luggage it'll be minutes when she's out.

You can pickup quite easily without paying, but they don't like you sitting and waiting for extended periods of time.

You can drive round the complex though and then drive back in and wait for a bit longer.
ed

27th Apr 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which terminal? You will have to park in short stay if you want to go in and collect her. If it's t5 then she'll be out quick, t2 might take a bit longer.
saj_123

27th Apr 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I presumed t3.
ed

27th Apr 10 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I meant t2 actually
Recaro1

27th Apr 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on which terminal

The only way you'll be able to pick her is if you she meets you at the drop off point aka departures.

Arrival areas dont have anywhere really for you to pick up anyone. They want you to pay to park your car thats why its expensive for like 15 mins.
Recaro1

27th Apr 10 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From when the plane lands to when shes out of the terminal buiding can vary. It depends if the plane gets a stand (I've had to wait like 20 mins for a stand to be available), if the immigration hall is busy, if the bags get unloaded quick, if her bags turn up, etc.

You can get away with parking up in the departures area, but dont leave your car. If your gone for like 2 mins they tow - they sit there waiting to do this.
Steve X16XE

27th Apr 10 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's terminal 1.

I have seen a petrol station on the main road outside of the airport. I'm going to park up in there and check the car over ie, tyre pressure, oil level.... but it may take me a while to find the dipstick

oceansoul

27th Apr 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When im picking people up from the airport, i usually wait at home with my airband radio on listening to Heathrow arrivals, then when i hear whoevers flight landing then i leave and im usually there at arrivals just as there coming out

However you do need to live around 15mins from the airport and have a scanner/airband receiver.
Recaro1

27th Apr 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you go into the central area, head up towards T1 departures (signposted). You'll go up a a slope which bends around in front of the terminal. At the top head left. Theres 3 lanes to drop people off but people always use the 1st. If you use the 2nd third one it will be empty and you'll have time to seat there and wait.

You need to tell your sister that when she comes out of the arrivals bit to walk to the far side of the building and get the lift to departures level as arrivals are on the ground. Exit the lift, turn right and she'll see doors to go outside.

If you wait outside your the airport, tell her to ring you when shes cleared immigration. By the time shes got her bags and got outside you'll prob be there
Recaro1

27th Apr 10 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Years and years working at the airport and you know it like a fat girl knows the supermarket.
saj_123

27th Apr 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I usually leave 10 minutes before the flight lands and I usually make it bang on time and I live 45 minutes away.
adiohead

28th Apr 10 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I usually end up parking and paying because whenever I've agreed to meet people in the drop-off point, they're not there.

Takes approx 30mins from landing to get out.
pow
Premium Member

28th Apr 10 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
When im picking people up from the airport, i usually wait at home with my airband radio on listening to Heathrow arrivals, then when i hear whoevers flight landing then i leave and im usually there at arrivals just as there coming out

However you do need to live around 15mins from the airport and have a scanner/airband receiver.

EVEN easier, my Dad fires me off a text message the second he lands, by the time he's taxi'd and got his suitcase, I'm there and waiting outside
gravesy

28th Apr 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I look on the situational awareness map, check the baggage system, grab a site vehicle, park up outside the terminal, job done (another Heathrow worker here).
Steve X16XE

28th Apr 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google Earth says that it's 182 miles aay and it'll take me 3 hours and 10 mins.... so, i'll not be able to set off when she lands, lol.

Because of the traffic and the time i've got to be there, i'll not be able to take much off that time.

So if you see a fast moving silver Arosa, move over and give me a wave!
adiohead

28th Apr 10 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll do it for ya
dan_m1les

28th Apr 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EVEN easier, my Dad fires me off a text message the second he lands, by the time he's taxi'd and got his suitcase, I'm there and waiting outside

This

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Heathrow Airport 23 database queries in 0.0131762 seconds