corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Whats the best exercises to do to improve upper back size.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats the best exercises to do to improve upper back size.
FruitBooTeR

User status: Offline
29th Apr 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I do back and shoulders I do -

Shoulder press with 22kg on each dbell

Standing Military press with 20kg Olympic bar with 7.5kg each side.

Front and Lateral raises with 10-12kg dbells

Shoulder pull down machine not sure what the weight goes up in actually but I have 11/12 black squares.

Front facing grip pull ups

Dead lifting - 4 sets of 8 with 90kg

Lat pull downs again with 11/12 blocks

Use other machines which work your Lats and Traps (Normally seated one where you extend your arms forward and pull towards you and behind your back.

I use the cable machines and cross grip and pull handles so may arms are in an x position then extend arms out and down.

I also do rowing now and again for a good 5-10 mins.

So basically I need some tips on getting a bigger upper back..you know when you see some people and their backs are just huge..what exercises are best to concentrate on?

I don't do the 1 arm dumbbell row atm but might put it into my routine.
Marc

29th Apr 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do free weights and the lat pull down, as well as the MTS Row. Tops of my shoulders are the biggest part of me.
A2H GO

29th Apr 10 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to concentrate on your back then change your routine up so your not doing it after shoulders for a start. Back and Biceps is a good combination.

Then stick to wide grip exercises to build width as close grip tend to build the upper and centre, something like:

Wide Grip Pull ups
Wide grip Lat Pull Downs(machiene)
T-Bar Rows(if you have one with a wide grip)

Throw deadlifts in first, once your bodys used the them, go HEAVY, should be aiming for double your body weight, i weigh 65kg and deadlift around 180kg.

One arm movements are good to finish(burn out) on, ie. 1 arm pull downs or 1 arm seated rows.

[Edited on 29-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
Laney

29th Apr 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pullups and pushups.

IMO the pullup is the single best upperbody exercise and will work your back better than any Lat-pulldown machine ever will!

Edit - If you need any proof just have a look at Bruce Lee. He had Cobra lats!

[Edited on 29-04-2010 by Laney]
ljames555

29th Apr 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
If you want to concentrate on your back then change your routine up so your not doing it after shoulders for a start. Back and Biceps is a good combination.

Then stick to wide grip exercises to build width as close grip tend to build the upper and centre, something like:

Wide Grip Pull ups
Wide grip Lat Pull Downs(machiene)
T-Bar Rows(if you have one with a wide grip)

Throw deadlifts in first, once your bodys used the them, go HEAVY, should be aiming for double your body weight, i weigh 65kg and deadlift around 180kg.

One arm movements are good to finish(burn out) on, ie. 1 arm pull downs or 1 arm seated rows.

[Edited on 29-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]

Imo back and biceps is bad , you hammer your biceps when you train back, the biceps can only take so much training being a small muscle.

I train back on there own usually meaning more energy to gain more size/strength etc.
whitter45

30th Apr 10 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

swimming
A1EX

30th Apr 10 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chest and back is where its at
Carl

4th May 10 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with laney. Pullup's wide grip. If get too easy put a weighted belt on.
Tom B

4th May 10 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wide grip pull ups, Lat pull downs, Rows, Front Rasies, the is loads mate just try new things each session so your muscle doesnt get too used to one excercise

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Whats the best exercises to do to improve upper back size. 24 database queries in 0.0055981 seconds