corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Willay's misadventures of O2 Broadband - A True Story.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Willay's misadventures of O2 Broadband - A True Story.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th May 10 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So a couple of months ago I swapped over to O2 Broadband from Eclipse, cheaper service, rumours that they don't mind a download and a cheeky Quidco cashback deal.

Because I live in the semi-countryside, I could only get O2 Access which is fine, got my 7.5mb line sync and I was away. Then the adventure started.

First of all their routing on the network looks they missed out chapters from Networking for Dummies, okay I can deal with that if it works. Packetloss on hops most of the time, not too sexy but hey, TCP will sort that out right? Maybe. And now on my way back from Germany I get a call from a lovely northern lass in O2's call centre telling me I'm not using their network fairly, I ask why and I'm told because I downloaded >60GB in a 4 week period.

After a lecture about why 'Broadband companies arent fair' and ' I download alot of backups' they decided to tell me that fair usage is described as 40GB per month, which isn't stated in any of the terms of service documents I agreed to when signing up. Anyway they were pretty chilled about the 60GB and essentially said if the service does not meet my expectations they will kindly let me migrate from the service for free and not charged me for the rest of the contract. I'm pretty sure if I keep my transfer rates up they will disconnect me altogether

I don't really want to move to another ISP, O2 Broadband is suppose to be awesome cool according to the Internet, has anyone else had usage warnings from them before? OR even better, whos suppose to be good at providing plain old ADSL broadband these days?

moka

30th May 10 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you downloaded on average 15GB a week for 4 weeks? Im glad i couldnt get O2 in my area as they were my no1 choice after what i read on the net. I went with Sky in the end and thats about average for me with no probs what so ever.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

30th May 10 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on average I would say 15gb a week easily!
Bart

30th May 10 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willay, how much you paying a month?

Plusnet offer a 60gb fair usage policy and unlimited midnight to 8am downloads for £11.99

However, if like me you dont mind paying a slightly larger premium for a better serivce then business broadway option 3 is the way to go
No download limits and no FTP throttling but its £25

what more could you ask for?

[Edited on 30-05-2010 by Bart]
John

30th May 10 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O2 access is crap, I had it, was good at the start but went very quickly downhill. LLU service is much better.

I moved to talktalk
Bart

31st May 10 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

I moved to talktalk

John

31st May 10 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TT are the only people I can get that are unbundled, I done quite a bit of research into it because I had heard nothing but bad stories.

The gist is that when everything is working they are ok, which I have to agree with so far, I get 18meg which is over double the 8 I was getting with bt wholesale (o2), customer services are crap but they do have a good forum.

Pro package is £15 a month, unlimited (not sure how high the FUP is but I dl quite a lot) no p2p throtlling, free static IP.
Xs

31st May 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got o2 when it first came out for free as a perk with my mobile contract, 2 years down the line theyve just started charging me £7.50 a month, but I have no complaints.
noshua

31st May 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
O2 access is crap, I had it, was good at the start but went very quickly downhill. LLU service is much better.

You can't compare O2 vs O2 Access. IIRC I read that O2 Access is for exchanges where O2 don't have their own equipment and as a result "rent" it from BT or other operators. Which is probably why they enforce their 40GB cap - for maximum profits on their side.
John

31st May 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I said in my post

Access is crap, LLU service is much better
aim1

31st May 10 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got warnings from Tiscali for very low amounts of downloads. O2 have always been fine but yes with 'proper' O2 through an unbundled exchange not an access package.

New Poll