corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » looking to buy a camera, but don't really know too much about them...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author looking to buy a camera, but don't really know too much about them...
macky

User status: Offline
12th Jun 10 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as the title says. my 21st is coming up and for a while i've fancied getting into photography, but i've never really known much about it.

i've been looking at buying a digital SLR, but i'm not sure which ones are best.

here are 2 i've been looking at:

Nikon D5000
Canon EOS 1000D

i'd like a decent camera that is easy to use...are these too expensive or complicated to start with?

any other tips or links would be great, cheers in advance
Doug

12th Jun 10 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went down the Nikon route when I started with a D60.

I have never looked back.

But with both of these cameras I would just go have a play and see which menu system you prefer and which feels better. Feature wise they are pretty similar.
Cavey

12th Jun 10 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
I went down the Nikon route when I started with a D60.

I have never looked back.

But with both of these cameras I would just go have a play and see which menu system you prefer and which feels better. Feature wise they are pretty similar.

What Doug said, they are fairly entry level, but will produce great shots.

Canon or Nikon is personal preference really, go in, have a play, see which feels better for you
macky

12th Jun 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys. i will go and have a gander when i have a chance.

are there any other decent cameras other than nikon and canon around the £4-500 mark?
Cavey

12th Jun 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a few people on here with the Sonys (A200 was popular when it was cheap, and A300s), you get more for your money originally, but there's a lot more extras available for the Nikons and Canons.

If you pop on over to http://www.talkphotography.com/forums there's bound to be a few threads on there of people asking the same questions
Matt L

12th Jun 10 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I oringally got the 1000d just because it felt better to me and was quite light, relitively easy to use (read the manual for the camera regardless which one you choose) also i personally found the canon menu easier to navigate oh and im not sure what nikons are like now but dont some of them not have autofocus motor built into the camera meaning that upgrading lens's could be more expensive? (not sure if i have just made that up tbh as its rare i look at anything nikon related ).

Sony/olympus/pentax are all the other dslr makes i can think of atm.
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jun 10 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went with a Nikon D3000 and it's a great first D-SLR I think, the D5000 can only be better as it's pretty similar but had a few more features.

Yeah Matt the D3000, D5000, D40 and a couple of others have the AF motor in the lens but I don't think it's more expensive. Can't say I've really compared the prices between AF and AF-S lenses (AF-S being the one with the AF motor in).

It's pretty much personal preference really, for one thing I prefer the look of the Nikon cameras over the Canon equivalent. Another plus point for Nikon is that they are solely a camera manufacturer unlike Canon who make tons of other stuff too, so Nikon can focus on making the best that they can in their one field.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Doug

12th Jun 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Nikon would get my vote based on personal experience btw.

But go play with the menu system, see which one suites you best!
macky

13th Jun 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers lads, very helpful
Cavey

13th Jun 10 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, if you buy online, check out http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk before you do! Awesome comparison website for camera stuff!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » looking to buy a camera, but don't really know too much about them... 25 database queries in 0.0107801 seconds