corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 20xe Alternator problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 20xe Alternator problem
Mistamist

User status: Offline
17th Jun 10 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For some reason the top bolt that mounts the alternator to the head snapped. i only found this when my battery started going flat on the way to work this morning. i thought this was strange cos i thought it would ground through the bottom bolt but i found it had rubber bushes to support it.

how is the alternator supposed to be ground? is it supposed to be ground? if anyone has a picture it would be very helpful.

help please as the car wont start and i dont think its gonna make it home running on the battery alone.

cheers
alan-g-w

17th Jun 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean by ground?

edit: if it's got enough battery to start it on the key you'll get about half an hour out of it at least.

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by alan-g-w]
Mistamist

17th Jun 10 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont start now, its holding about 10.6 volts.

By ground i mean its negative earth, some have a cable direct from the body of the alternator, some connect to the block via a earth strap, i was just wondering what other xe owners have? where their earth straps are going to?
alan-g-w

17th Jun 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not clued up on the electrical side of things at all, but when I changed my alts over recently there were only two connections at the back, positive and negative I assumed.
XENova

17th Jun 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alternators are wired up with large connector on the back being main positive to starter motor/battery cable, small connector going to positive via battery warning light + the main body is the earth

So yes the body of the alternator needs to be earthed to either the block or the body

Should be between 13.5-14.6 volts when running

Hope this helps

James

New Poll