corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Got an interview !

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Got an interview !
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 10 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After being sacked in October, and a friend giving me temporary job from February til April i finally have an interview for a full time job !

Quite nervous about it, as this is the first job out of fuck knows how many that i've applied for and actually had a response, also the prospect of returning to routine working kinda worries me as it's been a very long time (My temp job was 11-4, 6-11 split shifts)

Hoping i get the job as i am starting to run out of savings and bits and bobs worth selling.

It's for a Trainee Parts Advisor position within a franchised car dealer.
I have a higher in Computing, good computer skills, and 3 and a half years experience working as a vehicle technician (Didnt get to finish my final year sadly)

Any tips ?

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by Archie]
Limecat
Banned

23rd Jun 10 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My copy/post from Prem...

I do a fair bit of interviewing for my work.

First and foremost, plan ahead. Have your pants/shirt/suit pressed and ready the night before. Do a trial run to where you have to go for the Interview, ideally at the same time as you would have to attend, add half an hour as a minimum incase of problems. There is nothing worse than being late for an Interview. That way you know what the traffic will be like, you know where you are going and it's also something you can drop in. They will nearly always ask if you found them OK so saying 'Yes, I did a trial run at the same time yesterday to ensure I knew where it was and that traffic was OK' will show them you have initiative and can plan your time effectively.

Dress smart. Again, it shows a desire. If you have tattoos - cover them. If you are a skin head, grow it. Anything that is a bit left/right get rid of - earings, eyebrow piercings etc. Dress neutral but smart, a pale coloured shirt and pants, a tie isn't essential but if wearing one don't have one with Daffy Duck playing fucking Golf on it! Smile when you meet them, make sure your shoes are polished (shoes say a lot about people!) and give a firm handshake without trying to break their hand/arm wrestle them!

Do NOT slate any former employers, no matter how crap they were.

I actually don't agree with being to the point, there is a balance between that and waffling. If someone asked if you could do a job and you said 'Yes!' you would be to the point but you aren't putting any 'meat on the bones' as I like to say.

When you are asked a question they are looking for you to give examples. If, as we do, they are looking for examples within your last say 3-5 working years, just say 'I haven't worked that long to be honest so is it OK if I bring other aspects of my life into things?'. That will be fine.

When answering questions think of S-T-A-R.
S - Situation, explain what the situation was.
T - Target. What was the target, how were you going to achieve it?
A - Actions. What were they? Did you have to alter them.
R - Result. Did it match the target?

IE. 'LETGSI16V, can you explain a time when something didn't go quite as you had planned?'

S - 'Yes, one of my bitches had gone walkies looking for punters and she was missing, so I was worried she was trying to keep some dollar from me or that some big black pimp had cut her up or poached her!'
T - 'The aim was to find her, preferably alive, check she wasn't hiding no money up her clunge and get her back out on the street supporting her coke habbit and the repayments on my Bimmer!'
A - 'I decided to phone all ma niggaz, ask if they had seen her and then organise a sweep of the area incase she was being stuck in a boot/bin-bag/river.
R - 'I found the dirty smack rat behind the bins at Netto, noshing off a tramp to get the remnants of alcohol from his semen. Sure enough the slag had more money on her than she should have so I gave the slag a Chelsea smile - you just give them a nick to each corner of their mouth then kick them in the stomach. That showed the bitch not to fuck me about again, patchwork quilt faced slag!
I was happy with the result as I busted her for trying to steal from me and she was alive. I can now charge more for her to the fetish people that like birds with facial scarring!
Archie
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that fella.

Had a good chuckle at the last bit

I have a tattoo on my forearm which i shall try my best to cover up, its not anything silly or offensive.

I know exactly where i'm going anyway as it's a local garage, and i handed my cv & application in personally.

I handed it in at 1PM this afternoon, and got a call at 5PM to arrange an interview. They must have liked my cv/covering letter !
Limecat
Banned

23rd Jun 10 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What company is it for and when is your interview?

Research the company and the position. Have you got a job 'spec list' as certain things will be desirable (something they feel they can train) and others will be essential (something you will have to show in an interview).

How old are you if you don't mind me asking and what have you done previously?

(Nipping for a smoke, back in 10!)
Archie
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

County Saab, Local Saab Dealer, They have 3 branches, 1 in the town i live, 1 in Inverness and 1 in Milton Keynes.

Its Tuesday 29th @ 9AM.

The position is a Trainee position, there was no stated requirements in the advertisment, just a small ' if you think you have what it takes write to us and tell us why ' so i did

I'm 22 today !

Previously i was an apprentice mechanic with a main renault dealer, but i got paid off 6 months before my time was out and didnt get my papers, so have 3 and a half years experience, which gives me good knowledge of what i would be dealing with on a daily basis, and know exactly what i am talking about, as i know it used to a right pain in the arse when i was a technician and trying to explain to the stores what a part was if they didnt know.

Before that i worked in my dads business before he closed down, he owned a motorcycle shop and i pretty much done a bit of everything, working in the parts store, using microfisches before computerisation was a big thing and tending to showroom duties, working in the workshop.
Limecat
Banned

23rd Jun 10 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you come across well in the interview you should fly it TBH. I have no knowledge of recruitment in that sort of industry so can only imagine what it would be like but it strikes me as if you have experience to pull upon so if you answer strongly you are laughing.

If you feel something is asked that has already been asked in a different way it is because they are looking for you to expand on what you have already said.

I'm off now, but will be on in the meantime, so best of luck!
Archie
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, thanks for the advice, i will let you know how i get on
LukeD

23rd Jun 10 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They should ask you normally at the end if theres any questions you would like to ask.. think of some before hand. ask about progression in the company; always a good one.

Good luck anyway!

Archie
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate, i've already noted down a few questions, progression being one, also what my training will involve, and what i get at the end of it!
Marc

23rd Jun 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't had a single interview for the jobs I've applied for since beginning of May
Archie
Premium Member

23rd Jun 10 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I haven't had a single interview for the jobs I've applied for since beginning of May

It's a nightmare, half the time you dont even get an acknowledgment.

I sent a covering letter & cv to every car garage in Ayrshire i could think of to see if anyone would take me on to finish my apprenticeship and got 2 response letters...
am4nf

23rd Jun 10 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope you get it bud
Limecat
Banned

23rd Jun 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Wouldn't a rent boy just be a practical test?
Marc

23rd Jun 10 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you wanting my services? I only give.
Limecat
Banned

23rd Jun 10 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Are you wanting my services? I only give.

Lies.

I heard you have an arsehole like a Japanese flag!

Aaron

23rd Jun 10 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an interview for an ICT consultant position this morning.

I had to do two pre-interview tests (they were done online), a technical test as part of the interview, which asked alot of questions about Active Directory. Then, at the start of the interview, i had to plan and deliver a presentation to the panel...and then have the interview

and i dont find out until Monday if i got it or not

[Edited on 23-06-2010 by Aaron]
Archie
Premium Member

28th Jun 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tomorrow is almost upon me.

Nervous much ...
jibjob

28th Jun 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck mate!
steve_turbo

28th Jun 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck mate i have an interview on thursday i am nervous now!
Aaron

29th Jun 10 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its now Tuesday...and i still havent found out about mine .
Archie
Premium Member

29th Jun 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been told i will hear back in a couple of days if i have to return for a 2nd interview.
Aleex

29th Jun 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how did you feel it went?
Archie
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know i was a little nervous, and havent heard back.
Aaron

7th Jul 10 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got mine btw
Archie
Premium Member

7th Jul 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Got an interview ! 23 database queries in 0.0955350 seconds