corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virtualisation People

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virtualisation People
Planty02

User status: Offline
24th Jun 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently using VMware ESXi 3.5 and 4 (free edition) at work but I've recently been reading up on Citrix Xenserver. I played with it before but its lack of useful P2V tool put me off.

Now a new, improved tool has been developed and Xenserver (free edition again) seems to have alot more features than vmware, mainly the ability to control all hosts from one central console...

Thoughts/Comments/Experiences welcome
gravesy

24th Jun 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can control multiple hosts on using ESX with VirtualCenter.

Other than that I'm not sure but if you've got a list of questions I can probably find someone to answer them. Company I work for has just gone through a massive virtualisation project but also use Citrix for application delivery.
John

24th Jun 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ESXi is different from ESX, things like controlling multiple hosts is missing.
gravesy

24th Jun 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah missed that.
John

24th Jun 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you can get it if you pay for either vsphere or esxi but i'm not sure on what exactly you need, definitely can't do it in the free version.
Planty02

24th Jun 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ESX and ESXi are both free, not sure exactly what the differences are (also not sure which we run, will check in the morning)

The only way to control multiple hosts via one console is to use vmware vCentre at a cost of roughly £2500 per 3 physical servers (out of the question in the education sector)

Was just curious if anyone has used both xenserver (citrix) and esx(i?) and has any info...
Rob_Quads

24th Jun 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Planty02
ESX and ESXi are both free, not sure exactly what the differences are (also not sure which we run, will check in the morning)

Pretty sure ESX is not free. ESXi is but not ESX. The only way to get ESX is by buying Virtual Infrastructure.

VirtualCenter is a must if you want to properly use VMware at an enterprise level but this also means upgrading all your ESXi to ESX which costs money as you an only control 3 ESXi servers from a VirtualCenter which as you said is not cheap BUT its unlimited in terms of controlling ESX. 1 license can cover many many ESX servers (they do require a client license each but these come with Vi4 now)

We are starting to roll out a major ESX implementation at working covering hundreds of machine. Hopefully it will mean I will be able to palm of the management which I currently do for 4 ESXi machines and 1 ESX machine.
James_DT

3rd Jul 10 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We used Xenserver at the company I used to work, and it worked very well. Controlling everything from a single console was a handy feature.
Haven't used any others, so can't really compare, but I'd use Xenserver again.

New Poll