corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Serious question...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Serious question...
Limecat
Banned

User status: Offline
4th Jul 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
It's a novel idea that.

Agree who wants what on the basis of a LED 'board' which fluctuates prices every 20 mins?

Wouldn't that lead to madness for 5 minutes after the board updates and nothing afterwards (assuming a 20 minute pint intake)

I'd drink the same thing all night anyway, and I'd be fed up if prices went up

That's why I am looking for feedback fella. I want thoughts on your average drinker. I would run if something said Stella was cheap but you could stand and until you 'buy' it isn't a done deal, people waving hands and getting into it etc?

Maybe every 10 minutes? I don't know, that's why it is open to the boards.

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
It sounds like the sort of place that would be good if you just cared about getting absolutely out of your face for as cheap as possible.

I prefer to pay a bit extra at a classier bar myself but could see that being a hit with students.

My idealism was for a half way house.
Paul_J

You're likely to be able to get media attention / press based on the 'uniqueness' of the bar.

You just have to make sure your punters understand what is happening and why.

The biggest problem is the punters being confused. If I went to the bar not understand and asked for 5 kronenburgs and ended up paying £5 a pint I'd be fucking annoyed!

Afterwards they'd say 'well, you should've gone for the cheap drink'. I'd be like

-- Also. You may not have realised this (not sure of your knowledge of markets), but a market which only updates every 20 mins is flawed.

A market you are describing is based on supply and demand.

So ... If something is cheap and people buy it, the price needs to go up asap. If the price stays low for 20 mins and everyone buys it, then the prices change and another drink becomes low for a whole 20 minutes. Then you will only ever sell a drink for £1.70.

I don't know the margins you'll make, but essentially with the way you're designing it, EVERYONE will buy cheap drinks - no one will buy expensive ones EVER.

However, if you change the market to update constantly, you would find the prices would balance ... as soon as one goes cheaper, people would buy it and the price would be pushed up again. Nothing would ever fall low, as people would buy it.

Who knows, could work... e.g. shitty drinks (CHEAP) that no one would normally want to buy... price keeps falling till people start buying it.
jrsteeve

Been done before by a place in Manchester, think it was called Bierkeller, could be wrong though. Closed about a year or 2 later.

If you have money to invest i'd advise against the pub trade as the vast majority fail.
Hammer

4th Jul 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
You're likely to be able to get media attention / press based on the 'uniqueness' of the bar.

There's nothing unique about it, it's been done plenty of times before.

It is a good idea though if there's nothing in the area that has something of this ilk. My main target clientelle with something like that would be students. There's also plenty of scope with a display type thing to have league tables of how much and what certain tables have drank etc...
Limecat
Banned

4th Jul 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Been done before by a place in Manchester, think it was called Bierkeller, could be wrong though. Closed about a year or 2 later.

If you have money to invest i'd advise against the pub trade as the vast majority fail.

I live there but never went there. Thanks for the feedback though. It seems I wasn't as novel as I first thought.
Twitch

4th Jul 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open up the bar in Flitwick bedfordshire there is a huuge lack of things to do there. during the day just leave it open as a free house any age can come in have pool tables etc and then at night turn it into a club. there is a huuuge market where i live as there is about 15 towns that have to travel to go clubing costing about £60 a night just befor you start drinking lol
Limecat
Banned

4th Jul 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twitch
Open up the bar in Flitwick bedfordshire there is a huuge lack of things to do there. during the day just leave it open as a free house any age can come in have pool tables etc and then at night turn it into a club. there is a huuuge market where i live as there is about 15 towns that have to travel to go clubing costing about £60 a night just befor you start drinking lol

Where we are thinking I have a taxi company in my palm as me works with me.

TBH, it is back to the drawing board. Maybe hit the outer peaks and put on return taxis?
RichR
Premium Member

4th Jul 10 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its worth speaking to Iaz ( Flaming Corsa).

I used to run a coutry pub/gastro pub; ran it for 4 years; worked there for 10-12 in total
Gary
Premium Member

5th Jul 10 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pub business is shit. Been there done that.

The only pubs that do well are family pubs that serve food.

Forget cheesy ideas, people will get bored.

Food is the only way to go, uou will make 40%GP on beer sales tops and that's if your on a good deal with a brewery and doing the barrelage.

Food is near on 90%GP btw.

Another thought, If your looming at pubs from Punch taverns or enterprise inns then don't bother, you have to buy what they say and buy it off them at silly prices. You would have to be a free house to be able to get any sort of good deal on your stock.

Just my 2p's worth.

Just PM if you wanna know anything. I owned a pub (freehouse) for a few years.

[Edited on 05-07-2010 by glb]
RichR
Premium Member

5th Jul 10 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't ever, ever look at a Punch Taverm. The place I used to run had a £400k turnover and highest barrellage in the Staffordshire/Derbyshire moorlands. It was a busy palce with big wet and food turnover for a country pub but when Punch bought it in Sept 06 they runied it; we're now on tennents number 9, in less than 4 years. The interior is ruined, there is no food business and barely anyone goes in. Prices have sky rocketed and I would be highly suprised if it was doing more than £50k (ie £1k per week) now; whereas we were averaging £1k+ per day
Cosmo

5th Jul 10 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
Forget cheesy ideas, people will get bored.

This.

Its a good gimmick, and would certainly make you stand out from the crowd and attract people in to begin with - but I can see it getting a bit boring tbh for what would be your core customer base.

When I go the pub I want to get a pint of the beer I like and I want to know its going to cost me a set price - not that I could go in and it absolutely sting me one week where as a week I may not go in it be dirt cheap.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Serious question... 23 database queries in 0.0055830 seconds