corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Video Encoding (HTML5)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Video Encoding (HTML5)
ed

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was just wondering if anyone knows of any web-services that I could integrate into one of my websites CMS so that I can encode videos on the fly?

So far I think my options are:

Get the user to upload the vids in the correct format
Force the user to use Firefox and install Firefogg
Find a web service that'll do it
Install FFWMPG onto my server and setup my own system

Has anyone dine anything like this before?
Dom

22nd Jul 10 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used a php wrapper for FFMPEG, Mencoder and FLVTools called php video toolkit which worked ok. Although it wasn't particularly fast (no doubt i hadn't configured it correctly) and i ended up knocking together a backend processing system which ran every X minutes checking for videos that needed processing and then alerted the corresponding user when it was finished, a bit like youtube. If you ajax'd the whole thing you could make it a lot more user friendly though.

I'm guessing there isn't a plugin for your CMS?
ed

23rd Jul 10 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oops, I did mean to say PHP Video Toolkit. I was thinking about doing what you have done in the past and running a CRON job to encode the videos. Does that not have any issues with PHP's max execution time though? I was going to avoid AJAX'ing it as the user would have to wait for the video to encode which might be a bit of a faff.

The CMS is custom, so I'm making my own plugin for this
ed

31st Jul 10 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just an update if anyone is interested. I've installed FFMPEG with x264, Theora and WebM codecs. I've written a PHP script which executes some shell commands to encode the video into .M4V, .OGV and .webm containers with the correct CODEC's using a CRON job, updating the database accordingly. Also grabs some frames from the videos to use as 'posters' seeing as the tag is available

Seems to work pretty well actually and I learned how to use Linux over SSH...

New Poll