corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Subaru Imprezas - Buying... what to look for?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Imprezas - Buying... what to look for?
AK

User status: Offline
8th Aug 10 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rebuild - A LOT of hype and bullshit. They DO NOT NEED rebuilt every 60k miles. The only failure that are very common are due to the car getting the boost whacked up with no thought for fueling / engine etc.

I've been through 2 bottom ends - 2 engines - both oil starvation from hard track use.
dannymccann

8th Aug 10 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
£1500-2000 I think, might be wrong.

My car cost 1k

Just now I am working within two miles of home I am thinking 4wd turbo cars

Surely on such a short journey you would kill the turbo pretty quick? Unless you are thinking of taking the 20mile scenic route every trip?
AK

8th Aug 10 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann

Surely on such a short journey you would kill the turbo pretty quick? Unless you are thinking of taking the 20mile scenic route every trip?

what?!?!?!

why?

As long as the turbo/engine isnt shut down with roasting hot oil stuck in it...... The oil will hardy be up to temp.

No problem.

Even 10secs of waiting (letting oil circulate) at the end of a journey will be enough (longer if you have thrashed it). All these fanny with turbo timers set for 2mins are just wasting fuel.
allza

8th Aug 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had 2 now classic and newage. Both didn't need anything regarding repairs. Barnshaw newages can go upto 500bhp still on standard internals. Many running 450+ with no problem. For 2.5k you can have 400 bhp if you can fit parts yourself and then get a tuner to map it.
Wrighty

8th Aug 10 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
is that 400bhp on standard internals? what sort of power can you achieve without having to upgrade major internals?

about that maybe a tad more, sti's are semi forged and pretty sure the block is semi closed so quite strong. the engines usually take more then the gearbox. you could probably achieve 400hp with basic fueling mods ie a fuel pump + parallel rail mod, a bigger turbo + management/remapping on a 2.0 and having been in a bugeye running 400hp, theyre not slow. From 400hp+ your talking bigger money, but its not that expensive with 2.1 stroker kits been available from as little as 1200-1500 quid, or fully fitted at 2150 youve got internals there for 600hp+ you just need the rest of the supporting mods to get there.
AK

8th Aug 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.... but 300bhp is PLENTY for a road car - it it should last a fair while at that tune (with std engine)

500bhp on standard internals wont last long.
DaveyLC

8th Aug 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Biggest tip.. Buy standard and by a UK car.. Be as sure as possible that it hasnt been owned by some prick who's thrashed the fuck out of it.

Its impossible to be sure of the history on a JDM car..

Really tunable cars though, 280-300bhp can be had out of a UK WRX for peanuts.
Ellis

8th Aug 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep an eye on the MAF, change oil regularly. All this rebuild malark is scare mongering, if looked after properly I believe they are very much avoidable.
Brian

8th Aug 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only issue i had with my classic wrx was losing 3rd gear
Eck
Premium Member

8th Aug 10 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be put off by the front end being resprayed. The paint is really soft and prone to stone chips. As long as you look it over carefully, looking for any damage!
dan_16sport

8th Aug 10 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

around 3k for a rebuild,parts are not cheap for any scoob.and also the immobilisers are useless.know all this from working in a subaru garage

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Subaru Imprezas - Buying... what to look for? 23 database queries in 0.0123239 seconds