corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » xfactor....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xfactor....
will_ainsworth

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 10 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
So for 3-4 hours that the auditions are on, the engineer has to set up the auto tune for each person that gets on the stage without doing a sound check for each one?

I know its used live with bands, but thats because it is set up for the person using it

well after hearing on here that ive seen the news, i rewatched it and aparently it was done in the editing stage, and when live infront of audience it was raw without it being tuned
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Aug 10 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually said to someone that the black woman singing 'mercy mercy mercy' sounded like she had been auto tuned, still dreadfull mind.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Aug 10 at 23:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by will_ainsworth
this is the one i was looking for, u dont need to read the news to realise .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbYwslswf4
Indeed, doesn't take much to recognise it. You can hear it quiet clearly when she says 'release me' 15 seconds in.

In fact the whole of the way through it. 'Yrehrehrehreaahh' 'Mrerererecy'

Quite how they ever thought it wouldn't be noticed, I've no idea.
jacko198

23rd Aug 10 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if the mixer is getting fired then

quote:
quote:
So for 3-4 hours that the auditions are on, the engineer has to set up the auto tune for each person that gets on the stage without doing a sound check for each one?

I know its used live with bands, but thats because it is set up for the person using it

well after hearing on here that ive seen the news, i rewatched it and aparently it was done in the editing stage, and when live infront of audience it was raw without it being tuned

Yeah exactly
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Aug 10 at 00:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never used it but surely you can base the tuning on the pitch of the backing track? I would hope they'll be singing close enough to be able to make a guess?

That is why it appears to step the pitch through a few semitones when she first sings, because it's based on the sample at that time?
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Aug 10 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUS0UFQpE00
adiohead

24th Aug 10 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can use it live very easily.

Just have to know the key, which would be given on the backing track.

If it was done in editing, then the audio technician should be sacked. Unless...

they added it badly on purpose to cause a bit of uproar.
Dom

24th Aug 10 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They'll know what the contestant is planning to sing beforehand and there isn't a huge amount to setup, certainly not on the ATR-1 which just needs the root key set and it'll pretty much sort itself out. Although it wouldn't much more difficult to feed the AT a trigger midi melody track which plays along side the backing.

Edit - And i wouldn't say the engineer is solely at fault as AT seriously struggles at anything over a few cents or a semitone and it starts to sound a bit vocoder-ish. Although that begs the question to why it would be done at post-production and if it was then i would have thought it be more a bit more subtle/polished (a mixture of Melodyne and AT would pitch a vocal fairly well). Which is why i think it's done live during the auditions.

[Edited on 24-08-2010 by Dom]
Dom

24th Aug 10 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I've never used it but surely you can base the tuning on the pitch of the backing track? I would hope they'll be singing close enough to be able to make a guess?

That is why it appears to step the pitch through a few semitones when she first sings, because it's based on the sample at that time?

Antares Auto Tune is time-domain based and it is probably based around LPC (Linear Predictive Coding) for the real-time analysis although i'm not 100% sure how it works. A lot of pitch correction, like Melodyne, is FFT based though.
But yeah, Auto Tune can be fed trigger notes so along side the backing track could be a midi melody track so AT pitches correctly.
DaveyLC

24th Aug 10 at 06:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shock Revelation: X-Factor Contestants cant actually sing.
Edd

24th Aug 10 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edd
i put it to you

that you seen this on the news but decided that you would come on a corsa forum to show that you have a fantastic ear for music and claim some internet cool points

my god, you really put your mind to good use, yes you got me shirlock, sorry i don't watch the news much. no but seriously you caught me out if you must know i do have a shit hot ear for music, seeing as ive taken all my drum grades, guitar and two year diploma in sound engineering and music tech, with a bit of knowledge it wouldnt take a genius to know it was auto tuned.

Sherlock

and you have proved my point with your two year diploma boast
LeeM

24th Aug 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont get this autotune it makes them sound wobbly and computerised, not good?
adiohead

24th Aug 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
i dont get this autotune it makes them sound wobbly and computerised, not good?

It's all in the settings.

You can make it sound obvious (Cher), or you can make it sound natural (spice girls, boyzone, nearly every band nowadays, etc).

That's why I think it was done on purpose to get more publicity.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » xfactor.... 23 database queries in 0.1121049 seconds