corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does anyone on here do a Modern Apprenticeship or done one?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does anyone on here do a Modern Apprenticeship or done one?
Uptown

User status: Offline
24th Mar 03 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wot are they like when did you start one after A levels or after GCSE's? and do you still see your school mates?
Tiger

24th Mar 03 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did one year in electrical retail for some money as soon as id done my GCSE's then did an electrical installation apprentiship. Yes still saw my school mates - as soon as i finished work - now i work with a lot of my mates.

Ben_
DJGoMatt

24th Mar 03 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm halfway through one for BT. its quite good, i did a-levels first, it has made doing the college work so much easier, cos i've seen a lot of it before. plus the social aspect of sixth form was unmissable. loved it.
BabyBlade

24th Mar 03 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in my third year of one, started as soon as i left school, am doing a mechanical, altho it's got nothin to do with motors as the name suggests! Really good experience tho
Uptown

24th Mar 03 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i was just wonderin cause all my mates are goin sixth form an im not sure if ill regret not goin
DJGoMatt

24th Mar 03 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i only joined the sixth form for the easy option. it depends if you could live with the low budget. and dont forget it isnt easy to get on a modern apprenticeship, they choose carefully.
I have loads of mates that weren't in the sixth form, and at 16 i would have loved my wage. think about it. you'd be on a full time workers pay cheque at 19 ish. while your mates were just out of school. for me i will be more like 21.
alnmcn

24th Mar 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the final year of my electronics apprenticeship, and am finishing this summer. Started when my friends went to 6th year in school. I dont know if i've done the right thing or not, where i am they pay for you to go through college and courses and all, where as my mates who are in uni now will be in debt at the end. Thing is i`ll only have an HNC and some of them will have HND or degree.

I preferred the apprenticeship cause i'd rather do hands on work than
written.

Only really see my best friends on hollidays, as i moved 400 miles away form home to do mine! Made loads of new friends though. Pisses me off though on the summer hollidays though when they are all finished uni for 8 weeks and i'm stuck in work!

Alan.

[Edited on 24-03-2003 by alnmcn]
Uptown

24th Mar 03 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i could get the appreniceship I want to get because no one who gets the grades i get usually goes for apprenticeships and has experience with hands on work like i do
Recaro1

24th Mar 03 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to sixth form for one year, left, went to college , applied to uni, got accepted by all 6 and then turned them all down for an apprenticeship. some people thought I was mad, but I wanted money and the career prospects were good.

I hated sixth form, went their as my mates we're all going except for a few who left to do modern apprenticships. I didnt really know what I wanted to do so like a sheep, I followed the majority. I found it tough and hated the way the teachers treated you which cause me to get into a lot of trouble.

If your 16, then an apprenticeship may be tough but I believe its worth it. I'm in my third year and I have guys who are the same age (or younger) as me and are earning 25K+ at the age of 21.

Its upto you really, no one can make the choice for you. I'm glad I picked the route i did, I have ALOT of qualifications, work experience and have had good income for the last three years.

Oh and I still see my school mates, and also my college mates. And have made alot of friends with other apprentices.
ainsley_brader

24th Mar 03 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a 3 year modern apprenticeship after GCSEs. Must admit because everyone else stayed on for A levels that did cause a bit of a divide so to speak.
However 5 years on from school I have no regrets.

Ainsley
GT4Brody

24th Mar 03 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a modern apprenticeship, and am very glad, work for a good company, they payed all my college fees for 4 years and my wages! It just depends on wot you think is right for you, its not the be all and end all havin a levels degree etc, i have mates that have both and have been struggling for ages to get jobs!
Whereas i did my apprenticeship, got payed whilst training and more or less had a job garenteed at the end!
Recaro1

24th Mar 03 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how about applying for a modern apprenticeship and sixth form, pick one and have one as back up. You may think you will be accepted, but its not written in stone and it dont hurt to have a back up.

When I had my interview i had to take 6 tests, a medical, an essay type question, a group task and an hour long interview. People attended wth A* GCSE's and still didnt get a job.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does anyone on here do a Modern Apprenticeship or done one? 23 database queries in 0.0100501 seconds