corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bodywork or mechanics?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bodywork or mechanics?
Root

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by belton

Also the other people doing the course are likely to be, not to categorise people (even though I am), but chavs. You get a lot of thick-headed chavs on a course like that.

if I could get a job in a PROPER garage afterwards though, it'd be worth it

chavs? What's wrong with you! Have u even been there. All the chavs I know have jobs now or work in retail. Have you even been to the college?! Alot of my friends are doing mechanics courses and they are not chavy in the slightest. They are all passionate about cars and always willing to help me out or have a good conversation about cars etc

I've done 3 years at college. And all the chavs did plumbing/engineering/car mechanics etc.
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
i love it.... making life choices over whats going to save you a couple of quid modifying a shed

Again, I didn't say I wanted a career from either, just an experience/learning etc.
belton

3rd Sep 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It takes years to become a good painter it's a skill. It's nothing like e.g engine rebuild where in effect you can do it with instructions. It must be one of the most far from things you can learn over the Internet.
belton

3rd Sep 10 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:
Originally posted by Toby
i love it.... making life choices over whats going to save you a couple of quid modifying a shed

Again, I didn't say I wanted a career from either, just an experience/learning etc.

you realise it's a 3 year one day a week course? That's IF you chose to do day release to college. I can not understand why u want to go to college to learn this. Why don't you learn over the net like 3cm says you can do or ask if you could do a weeks worth of experience at a body shop? Or just learn the hard way and waste paint. You have clearly never even come close to doing proper body repair so have no idea how much time/effort and how stupidly much u have to pay attention to detail. I know I sound like a cunt but it's so much more than people even begin expect. You say you want to save money but you won't. Bodyshops actually price very fairly once you filter in cost of paint/booths etc. They running cost are huge
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Sep 10 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make your choice based upon what you like doing and where the jobs are. Career choice or not, there should be some business case to do it. And that isn't setting up on your own or doing your own car, particularly if you're talking about bodywork.
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Make your choice based upon what you like doing and where the jobs are. Career choice or not, there should be some business case to do it. And that isn't setting up on your own or doing your own car, particularly if you're talking about bodywork.

I think you've posted the best reply, thanks
CORSA NUT

3rd Sep 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I woke up this morning and decided i wanted to be a plasterer...looks easy enough and i'll pick it up quick

Root

3rd Sep 10 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
I woke up this morning and decided i wanted to be a plasterer...looks easy enough and i'll pick it up quick

I said nothing like that and besides everyone has to "pick it up" sooner or later, nobody is born with any skills. Try trolling again
3CorsaMeal

3rd Sep 10 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

if plaster comes with instructions on the bag then i could do it
22B

3rd Sep 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seriously, find a placement, DO NOT go to college and do mechanics or bodywork course without a placement. Ive seen a few lads that have done 3 or 4 years in college (5days a week) come into the garage and struggle.

Why do they struggle? they dont have the experience, they may have the theory but its totally different to actually doing it.

Times running out for this year, but get out and about and look for somewhere to take you on, even if you can only get a couple of days a week, you wont get to do much to start with, but if you show your keen and willing to learn who knows they may take you on.
LeeM

3rd Sep 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im doing maintenance and repair at college but im going on to do automotive/autosport engineering next year. theres a guy on the course whos just doing it for something to do because it interests him. if you want to do it ignore everyone saying its useless without placements etc
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Sep 10 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My college do motor vehicle but I think a placement is part of going on the course, you can't really learn much without it.

They have a proper facility for everything they teach, workshop is quite swanky by all accounts but you'll never get the range of jobs or vehicles without proper live work.
CORSA NUT

3rd Sep 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
quote:

if plaster comes with instructions on the bag then i could do it

No you couldn't Jim
CORSA NUT

3rd Sep 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:

I said nothing like that and besides everyone has to "pick it up" sooner or later, nobody is born with any skills. Try trolling again

Trolling
Graeme
Premium Member

4th Sep 10 at 00:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apprenticeships are the only way you will become a decent mechanic or painter or panel beater. I personally am a painter and wouldn't class my self as a great painter but now turn out good consistant work. It takes years to get good. I've been doing it 6 years now, my apprenticeship took 3 1/2 years to do level 1,2,3 but could of done it quicker if the assesor came out more to assess me and sign it off. It's cheaper to become a painter but more to start up your own business.

It's hard to get a job at the moment as slot of places are closing down but you would be cheap labour at around £150 a week now. I only got £80 a week to start but am now on £10 and booking around 45-50 hours a week.

Not to bad considering I'm only 23. It's really what you want to do. I have picked up alot of mechanical knowledge over time and am pretty confident with a spanner but I know alot of mechanics that know fuck all about bodywork. And also as a painter you pick up panel work but not so much the other way round. Hope some of this may help.
taylorboosh

4th Sep 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest if its a day a week course for 3 years thats 156 days.

on an average wage of say 50 a day, which you could earn whilst being at college it would cost 7800 in potential earnings.....

you may aswell pay some one to do the work and save you the time/hastle

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bodywork or mechanics? 23 database queries in 0.0119479 seconds