corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Took car through car wash and used a glorified grinder to polish it day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Took car through car wash and used a glorified grinder to polish it day
John

User status: Offline
5th Sep 10 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a free shell economy car wash voucher, wouldn't dream of using one normally tbh but the paint on this car is shocking so it was easier than doing it myself.

Rear bumper at the boot lid is the worst part, got some 1500 wet and dry and thought I'd give it a go, never tried it before.

Picture is a bit shit but you can just about see it looks better on the right hand side, it's nowhere near perfect but it's significantly better that it was, I could sand down further to get it better but I've achieved what I wanted to today.

Decided I'd have a go at a rear quarter, side that wasn't done below, basically a before pic, it's like the car has been washed with a scouring pad, the scratches, swirls, general dullness is visible in all lights.

After

It's not perfect but without the help of the flash it looks like it is, can't see any imperfections at all.

Was all done using the cheapest 'polisher' on ebay and the pads that came with it, a waffle one to start then a really crap softer one to finish, some 3m finese it with the waffle one and meguiars stuff to finish.

Was my first time using the polisher on plastic as well, you'd need to be a complete idiot to burn through imo unless it was really really really soft paint.

Total time taken was about half an hour, not 3 weeks with 5 guys.

[Edited on 05-09-2010 by John]
Tom G

5th Sep 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a fan, Sorry.
Nath

5th Sep 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many hundreds of pounds are we talking for this paint correction?
scoob
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
John

5th Sep 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
How many hundreds of pounds are we talking for this paint correction?

£600, oh wait, take a 0 off that, and I can also use it on more cars so it could end up costing about £5 a car
BluKoo

5th Sep 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before and after are different sides of the car Regardless I can still see you've got a finish with fewer imperfections. Successful mission I suppose.
harrisp

5th Sep 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure it was you a while back that was saying all your cars are mint condition and slating people for having the slightest mark etc, or was it a different john
John

5th Sep 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, forgot to get before pics, it was in exactly the same condition though, except it had some added scratches on the side I done.

I appreciate the work that goes into the cars that are 'detailed' I also know from trying myself though that most of it is complete bollocks to try and win at some sort of competition on forums.

Pictures are also straight off the camera btw :lol
John

5th Sep 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
Im sure it was you a while back that was saying all your cars are mint condition and slating people for having the slightest mark etc, or was it a different john

I said I'd never bought a bad car.

This one is shitter than the rest but I knew most of that before I bought it, and it was only a couple of grand, mint condition wasn't one of the requirements for this, mechanically sound was more of an issue, I quite enjoy spending a few weekends cleaning it up.
harrisp

5th Sep 10 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by harrisp

I said I'd never bought a bad car.

This one is shitter than the rest but I knew most of that before I bought it, and it was only a couple of grand, mint condition wasn't one of the requirements for this, mechanically sound was more of an issue, I quite enjoy spending a few weekends cleaning it up.

fair enough.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Sep 10 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice trainers
John

5th Sep 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks willay

Also, if I was doing this professionally I'd obviously have better equipment, that cheap polisher wouldn't last long getting abused day after day, you don't need to spend a fortune to get the results at home though.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Took car through car wash and used a glorified grinder to polish it day 23 database queries in 0.6638579 seconds