corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 turbo F1 cars...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 turbo F1 cars...
Eck
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Sep 10 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by markx14xe
lmao 1.6 f1 car

Type BRM into youtube. That was a 1.5. The sound alone tells you it is special. The 16 cylinders help too!
antnee

9th Sep 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Never said it wasn't possible and yes i already know that they ran turbos from the mid 60s to '89 when turbos were banned. But they were also V6's and V8's rather than inline-4's or V4's.
Eitherway, i still don't quite understand the point of doing this! I think it'll end up like KERS, nice idea but completely pointless.

Well WRC is using the 1.6's from next year I believe and I think touring cars will follow suit in a few years. The technology can be passed down from F1 when using 1.6's easier than when using v8/v10.
Nick-S

10th Sep 10 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
hydraulic valves help them rev high too?
Pneumatic valves.
LeeM

10th Sep 10 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nick-S
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
hydraulic valves help them rev high too?
Pneumatic valves.

I knew it was somethin like that
steviet

10th Sep 10 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I'm all for ridiculously high powered, small capacity F1 cars. Take away traction control and watch as boost kicks in mid corner and spits a car into the gravel.

pmsl . you are reading from the same sheet as me eck, that will sort the men from the boys lol.
Butler

10th Sep 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
why the feck are f1 cars concerend about being eco? im assuming this is the motive behind this

they only race every now and again so surely actually contribute fuck all the emissions in the grand scale

There will be an influx or new turbo cars in the the next few years, supposedly they are more economical than normal aspirated engines. F1 being a pioneering motorsport will be using the technology to inject some sort of coolness into the stream of things im sure.
Edges 58

10th Sep 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont you think bein f1 they should just let the designers build the fastest cars possible???
Robin
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
That could be interesting.

On another note, my uncle is in the process of rebuilding his 1200bhp 1.5 Turbo BMW F1 car.

Was this the one for sale on one of the motorsport ads sites recently?

Pics?
Dom

10th Sep 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
lmao 1.6 f1 car

Type BRM into youtube. That was a 1.5. The sound alone tells you it is special. The 16 cylinders help too!

It also had a narrow power band and apparently the P15 was meant to be a bit of a mare to drive. But the sound of the supercharged 1.5l V16 is pretty special
These 1.6l turbo 4 pots are going to sound pretty horrid tbh, the V6's weren't anything special - Renault RE40, Ferrari F1-87
Now Honda's 3.5l V12 used in the McLaren MP4-6 was special

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Never said it wasn't possible and yes i already know that they ran turbo’s from the mid 60s to '89 when turbos were banned. But they were also V6's and V8's rather than inline-4's or V4's.
Either way, i still don't quite understand the point of doing this! I think it'll end up like KERS, nice idea but completely pointless.

Well WRC is using the 1.6's from next year I believe and I think touring cars will follow suit in a few years. The technology can be passed down from F1 when using 1.6's easier than when using v8/v10.

Not quite sure what technology sharing with other series has to do with F1 going the turbo route And the similarities between F1 turbo'd engines and what the WRC/BTCC will used will be few and far between.

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I'm all for ridiculously high powered, small capacity F1 cars. Take away traction control and watch as boost kicks in mid corner and spits a car into the gravel.

Chances are it'll be a gradual power curve rather than nothing, nothing, oh shit! Plus there are rumours floating around that they'll have a FPA style 'boost' button

[Edited on 10-09-2010 by Dom]
neil h

10th Sep 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
That could be interesting.

On another note, my uncle is in the process of rebuilding his 1200bhp 1.5 Turbo BMW F1 car.

Please tell me there are pics of this somewhere
Butler

10th Sep 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was watching FPA earlier, they talk about it like kers bet they liken themselves a lot to f1 drivers. Still think its a bit 'fast and furious'.
ed

11th Sep 10 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edges 58
dont you think bein f1 they should just let the designers build the fastest cars possible???
It's in the name. It's Formula racing, you can't just turn up with whatever you like.
sand-eel

11th Sep 10 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I was thinking it would be excellent if there was a whole new race series, where the only rules were length/width restrictions, no power/ aero regulations
Robin
Premium Member

11th Sep 10 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is, it's called land speed record
Gary
Premium Member

11th Sep 10 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not really the same now is it Robin

I think there should be less regs. Let tema decide wether they want to try win with all out power or something lighter that handles better etc. Would male it more interesting I feel.
Fucking hate F1. BTCC all the way.
ed

11th Sep 10 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The point in motorsport is you design a car to a formula or you build a car to a set of rules. I suppose it would be good for people who get excited by jingling keys if there were less rules and flames painted on the cars, but for the rest of the people who are into it, it would be rubbish.
Edges 58

11th Sep 10 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
It's in the name. It's Formula racing, you can't just turn up with whatever you like.

yeah and as it started the formula was to go fast as possible, everythin is too health and safety orientated really.. and this no refuelin means we're watchin sunday economical drivers
Nick-S

12th Sep 10 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
lmao 1.6 f1 car

These 1.6l turbo 4 pots are going to sound pretty horrid tbh, the V6's weren't anything special - Renault RE40, Ferrari F1-87
Now Honda's 3.5l V12 used in the McLaren MP4-6 was special

better vids of all of them.
1.5 Honda RA168e V6 Twin turbo in a Lotus T100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTAPr2TQY9M

3.5L Honda RA121e V12 in a McLaren MP4-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePsJ8LmHIXc

1.5 BMW M12/13 Stright 4 turbo in a Brabham BT52
(Watch between 5.14 and 5.35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-JTFBMvBi4

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 turbo F1 cars... 23 database queries in 0.0196550 seconds