corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Epic Roadtrip

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Epic Roadtrip
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Sep 10 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A good friend of mine is such a lucky twat; He's ex Marines special logistics and when he came out he works for/helped to set up Extreme-knowhow and Extreme-Medics providing logistics, organisation and medical care to extreme events but also support to the Ambulance service with getting to out of the way places and during snow/floods.

They have a few vehicles, namely a couple of Discovery 3s, which have been fully modified with sat stations inside, jack up kits, light bars, winches etc as per the below

They've then got a 4 wheel drive, ex military 7.5T offroad truck

A couple of support Vans, BMW GS1200 bikes, quads etc etc

He's just been flown to the Mauritius to work Dive support for 3 weeks and the reason he's a lucky git is he has just been asked to drive An Invincible, the same modifed Toyota Hilux that Top gear used for the Arctic challenge, from the UK to Beijing in China!!! All expenses paid, he has 21days to get there and they'll be fitting it with an active GPS/Camera which will stream live footage and location reports all the way - I'll update this thread when he sets off in a few weeks time

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by LiVe LeE]
Colin

13th Sep 10 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now that is a road trip!!!
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love it; He hasn't been given a route to follow; just 21days and the finish point and the proviso that he takes some good photos along the way.
pow
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool as fuck
Gary
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whos sending him on this road trip?
Ben G

13th Sep 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really cool experience but one must ask, why?
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone has organised an event around China; I don't know the ins and outs but its £250k entry for a 3 man team. As far as I'm aware, they've shipped 9 other ones over but to raise awareness/advertising, they've employed Gary to drive from here to there in the 10th vehicle. He's an expert off road/military logistics driver, hence what he does now.

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by LiVe LeE]
Gary
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get why theyve used him. But what awareness will it raise?

Will it be broadcast on TV or anything?
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
I get why theyve used him. But what awareness will it raise?

Will it be broadcast on TV or anything?

no idea to be honest, I know they've got a fair bit of sponsorship and quite a few bits of test equipment to fit to the truck for the drive - no doubt someone will pick up on it as its an unusual task to undertake plus the live streaming GPS/Camera should get people interested
Gary
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any idea if it will be available online? The live feed i mean
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 10 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I assume so, I think the set off date is in 3 weeks time so I'll find out a bit more info before then
Leighton

13th Sep 10 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stop hosting pics on Facebook cannot see them in work
jmepamplin

13th Sep 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds great! I hope they get all the visas and shit sorted though... not going to be an easy task after watching that series with the two blokes on the motorbikes... Ewan and Charlie w/e

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Epic Roadtrip 23 database queries in 0.3766580 seconds