corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nokia (Symbian)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nokia (Symbian)
John

User status: Offline
21st Sep 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was always and still am a nokia fan, they have made some amazing hardware and the OS was at one point the best.

I've just had to spend a bit of time using an X6 and it's absolutely shocking compared to Android/iOS/Maemo.

My E51 still does all I want it to but that's got good old keys.

X6 hardware isn't even anything to write home about.

Not sure how they expected to keep up with the competitors (I know they still sell a shit load of 'feature phones' which they are still good at) with such a terrible interface, just doesn't suit touch at all.

[Edited on 21-09-2010 by John]
deano87

21st Sep 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't agree more (although I haven't had experience with their touch screen phones). My E51 is fantastic - if it had better keys and a 'touchpad' style navigator for browsing the internet, I wouldn't be looking to change.

I think the N8 will change things though, I honestly do - all the hands on reviews I've watched on YouTube with prototype phones people are blown away - normally those that would be critical and used all the latest smart phones. There's a video in particular of a journalist on one in what sounds like a cafe. Worth the watch.

EDIT: This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrRr_p6Au4s

[Edited on 21-09-2010 by deano87]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Sep 10 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 5230 touch running s60 is faultless tbh
Dom

21st Sep 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 6600 somewhere, probably one of the best phones i've had. I'd probably still be using it if it was for the keypad dying on me.
deano87

21st Sep 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People will probably say the N8 is nothing special. I think the fact it brings Nokia bang up to date is 1 good thing, plus some of the features I'm pretty sure can't be found on other phones.

John - download the latest YouTube app and Opera 10 Mobile for your E51. Totally transformed my phone!
Dom

21st Sep 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you placed an order for the N8 Deano?
deano87

21st Sep 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. Still deciding on whether to pre-order or wait till general release on O2, to save the faff of porting numbers. Although I'm not sure they'll do the same deals as £35/month on Tesco mobile you have to pay for the phone where as NokiaDirect.co.uk you don't.

Kinda hoping if I wait till general release NokiaDirect won't up their prices.

I do plan to get an N8 though. Whether it's w/c 27th Sept or 4th Oct I don't know.
Hammer

21st Sep 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a complete tech novice it seems to me they have rested on their laurels as far as their OS is concerned. Symbian appears on the face of it to be old hat.
dannymccann

22nd Sep 10 at 06:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My N95 8GB was a great phone but was let down by the software, it was slow as shit. At the moment I can't see me using anything else in the future other than Android or AppleOS, nothing comes even close at this point in time
pow
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I totally agree.

I moved used S60 phones for 5+ years, an N70, an E65 that only met it's death at the bottom of a toilet bowl, an E66 that I ran over in the MiTo and abused it and all three worked great.

I moved over to a HTC Hero that my boss gave me and although I've fallen for Andriod operating system, the bluetooth on the Hero is shocking and HTC just want to make phones bigger and bigger! Plus the andriod software IS buggy, no matter what people say!

I'm into the new C7 for my next phone, all of my nokia's have been build like brick shit houses so I hope this is but I Symbian^3 isn't a patch on 2.1 or 2.2. I think I'll go with the C7 because I don't really use any apps on the Hero; Maps, Phone, Text, Exchange Email, Calendar, Facebook and RSS feeds, all of which the Nokia can do!
AndyKent

22nd Sep 10 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still kinda like my N95 8GB - its a decent phone with some quality features (camera especially) but it really is slow as hell.

I never noticed it much when I first got it, but having used various more modern smartphones it really is dire. I don't really want to upgrade for the sake of it hence why I've still got it, but I can't say Symbian, or any nokia for that matter, would be high up my list.

HTC Desire looking best at the moment
Cavey

22nd Sep 10 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still like my N97 mini, although it does fuck up occasionally, just requires a turn off and on.

New Poll