corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Hot air balloon rides

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hot air balloon rides
sloworm

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has anyone been on one? Or booked one for someone else?

Its my girfriends birthday on the 11th of november and its on her list of things to do in her life.

She wont be able to get her birthday off work (a thursday) so in an ideal world Id be able to book it for the saturday and suprise her with it that morning. However im guessing with the weather in november that they dont often (if at all) fly. So I think i'll be limited to just getting her 2 vouchers to use anytime she likes? sort of takes the gloss of the suprise of it all, giving her a voucher that she probably wont be able to use for 4 months or so, but im not sure i have a choice?

anyways, im in norwich... so anyone used any companys around this area? or any nationwide companys like virgin? any stories or advise would be greatfully recieved
JonnyJ

23rd Sep 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i looked into them they are bloody expensive

But if you can afford it, go for it. Im sure she would love it, voucher or not.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Sep 10 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went with my mum for her 60th.

It's a phenomenal experience, being above the ground but so close to it, and it's completely quiet and peaceful because you're travelling with the wind.

I got the vouchers and we launched on the third attempt. Booked hotels and then ended up not flying because of the weather on two previous occasions.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=364993
drunkenfool

24th Sep 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Average price is £99 per ticket or a whole balloon for £650 which is a max of 8 people or 90st, whichever is heavier.
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to do it, not so long ago I was driving back home and I could see this hot air balloon in the distance and it was quite low, got closer to it and it was about 100ft off the ground going over the fields. It kept going up and down so I assumed it was in trouble, further down the road a police car went flying passed with the blues on. Never did hear what happened to it though. Hope they were ok.

[Edited on 24-09-2010 by DannyB]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Sep 10 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll generally move about a lot because it's very difficult to balance, I wouldn't imagine that would be a problem. Just sounds like they were looking for somewhere to land.
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was over a fair distance though and it was very close to houses the last time I seen it.
3CorsaMeal

24th Sep 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hear the landings are the worse part
Neil Dagens

24th Sep 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sloman??!

dont they do them in argos? in the activities bit?? they usually give you a load of places nationwide where you can do it
SXI - Matt

24th Sep 10 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy's im training with to paramotor have 2 people in there club who have ballons look like a cool thing todo wwhen he takes off they all go up and fly around it ect for abit qite cool them all being up there from what they all say shame your not nearer could of had a word
SXI - Matt

24th Sep 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and they fly quite alot at them minute either first thing or last thing at night when the weather has settled and thermals carmed down
whitter45

29th Sep 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we did this on route 66 in alberquerque

You are very governed by the weather and the winds

I would imagine in November it will be hit and miss whether you actually fly

We did ours at 06:30 in the morning as it was the best time for the airstreams

Also the height you go will depend on the winds

Soemtimes they have to climb high to get a good enough wind

If so the duration maybe less as they use more fuel

an 80 gallon flight should last about 1 hour dependant on conditiosn as they use 20 gallons to inflate the thing

pics below

[Edited on 29-09-2010 by whitter45]
Steve
Premium Member

29th Sep 10 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-11434556

Neo

29th Sep 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i hear the landings are the worse part

It was for us, smashed my car key as I had it in my pocket and we crashed into a treetop on our way down which pivoted us backwards.

[Edited on 30-09-2010 by Neo]
SXi_Tim

29th Sep 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One crashed into the woods at the back of my house last year, one of the guys had to be airlifted by the RAF as he was stuck 50ft up a tree
ed

29th Sep 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would love to do this. Some of the best days for flying are in the winter, what you want is a lovely crisp band of high pressure with blue skies - bet it would be fantastic then (and bloody cold!).
whitter45

30th Sep 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

landings can be hard

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Hot air balloon rides 23 database queries in 0.0188489 seconds