corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Lands End to John O'Groats and then some.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lands End to John O'Groats and then some.....
Jamie Walby

User status: Offline
11th Oct 10 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...so I have agreed to do a Lands End to John O'Groats bike ride for charity next June. At first I thought that was hardcore enough but was then informed that on the way back from John O'Groats we will be doin the Three Peak Challange

Anyway, has anyone done anything like this before? I know I am goin to need to train for this but havent got a clue where to start? Just plenty of bike rides I guess to get the old gooch used to the saddle

I did a cycle through France earlier this year but was only 200miles over 3 days and did no training for that.
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck mate - Will donate something, are you doing through "Just Giving" or whatever its called.
Jamie Walby

11th Oct 10 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate! Reckon I'll need it

Its all for a charity set up for a mate who died in a car crash, all the money they raise goes to sports equipment for schools. I think they are in the process of creating a website for people to donate online, will post the link up when its done.
Twiggy

11th Oct 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck that!

Get the sponsor money put the bike on a bike rack. Stop off at points take pics on the bikes...

Job Done.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Oct 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie Walby

11th Oct 10 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mwg

11th Oct 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know people that have done John O'Groats to Lands End and people that have done the 3 peaks challenge but not one after the other
BeArDy

11th Oct 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have biten more than you can chew mate.
I can only comment on the 3 peaks.
3 peaks challenge do not think its going to be easy. You have 24 hours and you are traviling for 10-11 hours of that (if you stick to the rules an do not speed) 1 of the climbs is threw the night in the dark plus you have to get some sleep in this time which is the hard one, going with non or very little sleep.
You need to be very good a map reading as the night one you have no ref points you can see to help so your compass is your friend. An you have not got time to get lost.
You will need 1 person to just drive as you will not be able to do this yourself.
You need to get some hill running in and get used to walking/jogging with a ruck sack on. As you will need to carry food, water, clothes, first aid kit etc etc
Do your training in the boots you will be wearing for the climbs. we did 6 month solid training at least 3 times a week.
If you are sticking to the rules and not speeding between climbs (which again dosent really help) you need to get a good move on or even jog first 2 climbs as if you get in trafic or any problems along the way you will not do it in the time allowed.
My advice to you is go to one of the climbs and just walk it an that will give you an idea of whats involved and time it take to get up and down with no pressure of time of after no sleep and having climbed 2 before .

So 3 climbs
5pm Start Ben Nevis.
10pm Finish Ben Nevis and start drive to Scafell Pike (six hour drive).
4am Arrive and start climbing Scafell Pike
9am Finish Scafell Pike and start drive to Snowdon (four hour drive).
1pm Arrive and start climbing Snowdon
5pm Finish Snowdon, and complete challenge.

If you need any more advice let me know.

Good luck
Jamie Walby

11th Oct 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats awesome advice Beardy thank you!

I was over at Corfe Castle yesterday and have seen a few monster hills that Im gonna walk then eventually jog up.
Jakey
Premium Member

11th Oct 10 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 of my mates did JOG to LE a few months ago. One of then has still shitting blood every now and then.
Seany

11th Oct 10 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my best mate did the jog to le last year, next year hes cycling from italy to endinburgh for help for heroes
Jamie Walby

6th Jul 11 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I did it!
Jamie Walby

6th Jul 11 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I did it!
Ben J

6th Jul 11 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you did it then??

[Edited on 06-07-2011 by Ben J]
Ben J

6th Jul 11 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done mate. Are you fucked?
pow
Premium Member

6th Jul 11 at 07:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dead tbh
Jamie Walby

6th Jul 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too bad at the moment Ben! Had a tough day on Friday when my knee ached really badly and my ankle is also fucked but dragged myself up the three peaks! Also had naked photos at the top of each peak

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Lands End to John O'Groats and then some..... 23 database queries in 0.0150790 seconds