corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 2 Cars travelling at 50mph crash...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2 Cars travelling at 50mph crash...
mwg

User status: Offline
29th Oct 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who cares
sand-eel

29th Oct 10 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF when the "crash people" talk about a "wall" they mean a wall that doesn't move, not a brick wall or steel wall, its a pretend wall.
sand-eel

29th Oct 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its also impossible for ANYTHING to stop instantly, even if you trow a diamond at a wall, it would still deform an extremely small amount.
Kurt

29th Oct 10 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if the cars were made from Diamond?
DaveyLC

29th Oct 10 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
What if the cars were made from Diamond?

Brap Brap! Ice-mobile..
Nath

29th Oct 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
who cares

Not me, but I might also fire up Google and join in.
CorsAsh

29th Oct 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by Limecat
Walls move if you hit them...
Theoretically, in every impact there is moment of stillness as energy is passed from one subject to another.

To elaborate, if a train going at 100mph hits a person standing on the tracks, the person can not physically instantly achieve 100mph, and must accelerate from zero. Therefore, there is a miniscule moment when the train stops as it hits the person. It gets very messy, very quickly after that though

The person accelerates very fast, the train doesn't stop

It's theoretical physics, I'm recalling what I was taught 8 years ago here

I did some looking up and these guys explain more clearly what I mean:

quote:
The point is thus:

The tennis ball does not instantaneously decelerate and change direction. The deceleration occurs over a non-zero time and a non-zero distance (the distance being somerthing less than the diameter of the tennis ball as it deforms on impact).

During this brief (but non-zero) contact, the tennis ball transfers an amount of energy to the train, that energy is first put into deforming the steel surface of the head of the train. The steel surface rebounds, giving most of its energy back to the tennis ball, but some of the energy is transmitted down the length of the locomotive in the form of a shock wave (i.e. sound wave, i.e. WHAP!). This wave has the effect of very slightly (VERY slightly) decelerating the train. This deceleration also occurs over a non-zero time and a non-zero distance. Note that it occurs atom by atom too, as each steel atom shoves the one next to it.

Meanwhile, the tennis ball has the energy given back to it by the train (and some more by the train's movement). It rebounds, (over a non-zero time and non-zero distance), accelerating away from the train.

The key (if it isn't obvious enoguh by now) is the interaction (i.e. energy transfer) over a non-zero time and non-zero distance*.

*(Interestingly, this strikes at the very heart of our current lack of understanding of the universe: why GR and QM are irreconcilable. How can a theoretically zero-dimension GR particle transfer its energy to another zero-dimension particle over a zero time? That results in an energy transfer rate of infinity! But I digress....)

quote:
At the instant the ball is stationary relative to the train, the train is stationary relative to the ball.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=125266

Basically, if something travelling left hits something travelling right, it can not instantly change direction to then travel right. It must slow down, stop, then accelerate. So. in THEORY the large object hitting a small object will stop as the smaller one does. There are more variables to include, but even if you argue that the person turns to mush when the train hits, the atoms in the mush are still impacting the atoms of the train, so the theory applies on the atomic level still.

[Edited on 29-10-2010 by CorsAsh]
Ben G

29th Oct 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're wrong.
John

29th Oct 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see how that is either.

The train doesn't stop theoretically or not, it's just slowed down a tiny tiny amount.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 2 Cars travelling at 50mph crash... 23 database queries in 0.2880709 seconds