corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Acceleration Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Acceleration Question
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Nov 10 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a bit of a random technical question and isn't related to cars at all and I'm guessing noone will be able to help but stranger things have happened.........

I have:
- Resistance Curves
- Speed/Powering Curves
- Engine Powering Curves

The customer has requested acceleration in terms of time for 0-10, 0-20 and 0-30.

I can extrapolate to calculate the Speed against horsepower, giving me the overall speed for set horsepower; as such, I'll know the exact horsepower required to give 10, 20 and 30mph; from this, I'll know the exact engine speeds in RPM required to achieve 10,20 and 30mph and also the resistance at each speed but that's where I draw a blank - I need to work it out in terms of seconds - Any ideas?
Steve
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would the calcuations used to determine 0-60 based on BHP and weight for the performance calc i designed for vagweb help?
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly, I'll give anything a try - its a stupid request to be honest; I can tell them 0-30 will be in the region of 12-15seconds so why they need to know the other two figures I'll never know - practically why would they need it!
John

29th Nov 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not just tell them 4-5 and 8-10.
ed

29th Nov 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just tell them 0-10 will be 5 seconds, 0-20 will be 9 seconds and 0-30 will be 14 seconds.
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

resistance curve wouldn't show that though - acceleration in theory would be quicker 0-20 than 0-10; 0-30 ie the initial acceleration is slower, then 10-20 is pretty quick but 20-30 is a little bit slower in terms of time. Its not linear acceleration

This particular customer is a complete arse, they'll tie us down to a contract with that in it if we give them figures and refuse the boat if we're over in reality
John

29th Nov 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well why not say 7 and 12 then.

Acceleration is a simple bit of calculus iirc, I couldn't even do it years ago though so I've got no chance now.
ed

29th Nov 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you do FEA on your designs? I'm sure ANSYS would tell you if you're stuck - would probably take about a week of processing though
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

therin lies the problem - have to go back today - John, from my experience, we're likely to be 0=10, 6/7 seconds - 0-20 = 10/11seconds - 0-30 = 15/16seconds

BUT here lies another problem, different propellers give different figures; i.e. a fast accelerating propeller will give a slow top end and vice versa and then we can only record using stopwatch and GPS and whilst GPS is accurate, it isn't instant - fine for top end but not for acceleration - I hate this job - I've had a week off, I wanted something easy for my first day back!!!
ed

29th Nov 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking back to all the stuff I learned for my pilots licence. These equations aren't all that simple actually, there are a lot of variables! Prop, two types of drag, power, torque, the amount of the hull in the water...
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

precisely; longer lengths but smaller waterplane area coefficients actuall give greater speed - position of centre of gravity, angle of attack, props - too many variables to give an accurate estimate without testing IMO
alan-g-w

29th Nov 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the boat you're doing it for a one off?
adiohead

29th Nov 10 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make it up
Steve
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant you just take it out and time it
John

29th Nov 10 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Build a remote controlled exact scale model.
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
cant you just take it out and time it

not built yet - pre build contract speeds normally only relate to the maximum achievable speed which by comparison is easy to work out - but to work out the time taken is a whole other level

All we normally record is a 0-30 time on the actual boat trials at the end fo the build, this given, I've produced a scatter graph of 0-30 tiems for various baots; added a linear trendline and am blagging it with the fact that the acceleration curve is actually logarithmic, so, in theory, using points taken off the linear trendline should all fall on the underside of the actual; i.e. if it says we'll do 0-10 in 7/8 seconds, we're safe because in theory we'll be looking at 5/6seconds etc

[Edited on 29-11-2010 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

29th Nov 10 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Is the boat you're doing it for a one off?

Yes, pretty much every boat we make is

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Acceleration Question 23 database queries in 0.0152049 seconds