corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What is happening to my car?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What is happening to my car?
LeeHadfield

User status: Offline
7th Dec 10 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure the cold is turning my car (x14xe) into a hypochondriact(sp) !

This morning, driving to work, no hot air would come through my heater vents even though the engine was up to temp. and then while driving along steady at 60, the engine temp shot up to above maximum within 10 seconds. My 1st thought was headgasket so i pulled over, let it cool down and drove home. with the temperature rising again by the time i had got home.

Check my coolant, cannot see traces of oil. Checked under oil cap, nothing drastic to mention.

Anyway, i left it for a few hours. Just gone out in the car to see if the same happens and get some petrol. The car is back to normal, with heat coming through the vents and the engine temp staying at a steady 90.

Anyone know what might of happened or is it literally just the cold fucking things up?

Any help appreciated
dean101287

7th Dec 10 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got antifreeze? Either that or theromostat I would say.
LeeHadfield

7th Dec 10 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have antifreeze in yes but maybe not enough, so i have put some more in. If the water was frozen would it not have knackerd the water pump, and in turn the timing etc. or can ur have small freeze blocks in certain pipes? etc. ... and yes, i was also thinking the thermostat, could it have just frozen up. Can that affect the temp of the engine so drastically? .. sorry for the all the questions, i jus a noob and want to learn
dean101287

7th Dec 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the water could have froze in the pipe that comes from the thermostat. If the theromostat cant open due to being blocked it will overheat pretty quick and if the thermostat is jammed open you wont get hot air as the coolant will be going through the rad, Id top it up with antifreeze and monitor it. If its still doing it take the thermostat out and have a look.
LeeHadfield

7th Dec 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate, ill do just that. just looked on ebay and new thermostats are cheap enough. So it will probably get replaced at the weekend. appreciate the help
JaffaTB

7th Dec 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheap but a pain to get at (well on my c14se anyway)
AlexW

9th Dec 10 at 03:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pish easy to do on a x14xe, 8v's are completely different.
salam

9th Dec 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check if coolant frozen
check if there any touch between thermo wire and engine block
LeeHadfield

9th Dec 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, car is being completely normal now. im thinking the thermo was froze open/shut. So releived it wasnt the headgasket
CB1

9th Dec 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a note, over in Skandinavia (Denmark,Sweden, Norway) they dont have water in the cooling system at all. They fill up completely with antifreeze all year round.

New Poll