corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake disks lifespan? (normal driving)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake disks lifespan? (normal driving)
Matt L

User status: Offline
16th Dec 10 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wandering what the life span of brake disks are as well... mine are apparently iffy and they were new in Feb (15k miles ago) pretty much feb - Jul was short journeys (around 6mile round trip to and from work) and since then its been 50mile round trip for work.

rest of the travelling is motorway miles pretty much, never thrashed the car into corners because the brakes are shit on it at the best of times and its like an oil tanker so never been for spirited drives unless its straight roads .

going to ring seat tomorrow unless its common for them to go so quickly

Oh its the front disks (also have the pads replaced at the same time and they are fine still)

[Edited on 16-12-2010 by Matt L]
deano87

16th Dec 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon the originals are on the Punto. 42k miles. No problems with them, hardly a lip on them either.
chrisritch

16th Dec 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a sign you should just drive the Z more tbh
Matt L

16th Dec 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so they really shouldnt be dead then phone call to seat tomorrow to be told i need to pay for new ones most probably .

and yeah i wish i could however new to rwd and icey/slippy roads = parked safely down the drive.
j10E W

17th Dec 10 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my van just had new discs and pads all round at 22k maybe thats average? i dont know tbh

[Edited on 17-12-2010 by j10E W]
alan-g-w

17th Dec 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there's not a set amount of miles, you look at the disc and tell from that. As said, if it's got a lip around the outside edge it's usually a tell tale sign, sometimes you can just get this machined off if the actal disc thickness hasn't been affected too much though.
Twitch

17th Dec 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it also depends how you slow down etc. if you use just your breaks they will wear quicker than if you use your breaks and gears to slow. also on motorway if your breaking a lot from people in front slowing down etc it will make the wear quicker. try distance yourself more if you dont already.
daymoon
Premium Member

17th Dec 10 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all discs have thicknes when new and minimum thickness.

Unless they are made of lard i don;t think you could kill them in such a short amount of time.
Neo

17th Dec 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine are originals and on 53k, admittedly i sit on the motorway all day but I don't think the way you drive 15k would kill them
daymoon
Premium Member

17th Dec 10 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replaced front ones on my dads Rover at almost 80k miles...
alan-g-w

17th Dec 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twitch
it also depends how you slow down etc. if you use just your breaks they will wear quicker than if you use your breaks and gears to slow. also on motorway if your breaking a lot from people in front slowing down etc it will make the wear quicker. try distance yourself more if you dont already.

So basically if you use your brakes less they'll wear slower

ed

17th Dec 10 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've been saying my disks on my Punto are lipped and need replacing 'next year' every time I take my car into service. This has been going on for 4 years now and I've just got an advisory on the cars second MOT. They're not lipped at the top though, I think the brakes on that car have been positioned in such a way that it wont lip at the top anyway. Plus, the light hasn't come on the dash yet
Johnston_888

17th Dec 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
Just wandering what the life span of brake disks are as well... mine are apparently iffy and they were new in Feb (15k miles ago) pretty much feb - Jul was short journeys (around 6mile round trip to and from work) and since then its been 50mile round trip for work.

rest of the travelling is motorway miles pretty much, never thrashed the car into corners because the brakes are shit on it at the best of times and its like an oil tanker so never been for spirited drives unless its straight roads .

going to ring seat tomorrow unless its common for them to go so quickly

Oh its the front disks (also have the pads replaced at the same time and they are fine still)

[Edited on 16-12-2010 by Matt L]

OMG FUCK OFF, WHAT THE FUCK, ROFLCOPTER YOUR A DICK

sorry was just putting an average CS cunt reply on here mate
Scotty_B

17th Dec 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I changed the original discs on my Focus at 45k, with average driving.
Kano

17th Dec 10 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My works van has done 85k miles since I got it 2 years ago and its still on its original disks. Has had 3 sets of pads in that time.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Brake disks lifespan? (normal driving) 23 database queries in 0.1831570 seconds