corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DVLA/Private Plates

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DVLA/Private Plates
nathy_87

User status: Offline
4th Jan 11 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Help, I'm confused.

I've got someone coming to have a look at my VW this evening, and he is 99% sure he wants it and if he does he#d want to take it away with him this evening, but it still ahs my private plates on, as I haven't had chance to swap them over to my new car? so if i sign the car over to him (v5 etc) How do I go about getting my number paltes abck?

Cheers
mattk

4th Jan 11 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you do that you are putting faith in him letting you have the plate back, something I wouldnt do and something Im sure someone on here got done over with

you would have been better taking it off before advertising, Im not sure how long it takes to transfer them if he is willing to leave a deposit
Jambo

4th Jan 11 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a way of doing it iirc. I would have removed them first though. Much less hassle
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
4th Jan 11 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The plates are lost with the car, if you want to keep the plate, don't sell the car.

The way is that you trust the guy you've never met, don't be daft.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its lazyness then, if you loose them then its your own fault. Your car has been for sale for ages well youve wanted to swap for everything under the sun. It takes all of 30mins to fill in the forms and send them off.
Norcy91

4th Jan 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to do this with my plate when i sold my Ibiza, it is a big risk but the guy seemed very genuine about doing it! He also had to trust me with it because i had to keep the complete V5 to take into the DVLA to swap it back over. Sean-B i think had to do it and nearly lost his plate on his Corsa as well!
XE Col
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was just going to say there was a guy on here did it not so long ago, Sean-B rings a bell, lost his plate iirc??
I would personally keep the car until the plate is off there mate
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 11 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There have been loads of people either been very close to losing them or actually lost them. No idea why you would leave it to chance.
XE Col
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here it is mate

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=577792

EDIT: looking at the post of sean-b's new car the 200sx he got his plate back, very lucky i would say

[Edited on 04-01-2011 by Boissy07]
Norcy91

4th Jan 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
There have been loads of people either been very close to losing them or actually lost them. No idea why you would leave it to chance.

Thing i found when doing it was i couldn't really lose out? When i sold my Ibiza, he went off with a car, yet I had £1400 cash, the V5 and my form to swap the plate over to my Corsa. I could have easily told the police my car was stolen and come out of it £1400 richer (with a big risk of being arrested myself ) But that does prove there has to be plenty of trust going both ways!
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 11 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've technically broken the law not supplying the V5 thought, so not ideal either way. Very trusting by him, that.
corsa-sxi

4th Jan 11 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well he might have a receipt?
also on New V5C, it states that the holder of the document not necessarily is the owner - just who is responsible for taxing the vehicle

can take up to 4 weeks to transfer plates, but it pretty much gets done in 10 working days

[Edited on 04-01-2011 by corsa-sxi]
Norcy91

4th Jan 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You've technically broken the law not supplying the V5 thought, so not ideal either way. Very trusting by him, that.

Well i didn't know that at the time so i'll definitely be more careful about it next time, once is enough!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DVLA/Private Plates 23 database queries in 0.0092530 seconds