corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Contactless Technology?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Contactless Technology?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
28th Jan 11 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a letter to say when my bank card expires i'm being provided with a new card with contactless tech, allowing me to wirelessly swipe and pay for transactions of £15 or less.

Does this mean if i loose my card, someone can go into a shop various shops and purchase items of £15 or less without the need for my pin? If so, what a brain dead idea that is. All that money spent on chip and pin to make transactions more secure and now you don't even need a pin or a signature.

I'll be calling the bank to see if I can opt out, if not, ill be changing banks.
MJFF88

28th Jan 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very few shops actually accept it (I think its mainly coffee shops) & my understanding is they're quite lenient when it comes to paying you back money which was taken from your account fraudulently.
Jamie Walby

28th Jan 11 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We accept it. You can use the card contactlessly for somin like 4 transactions in a row (£15 max), the fifth transaction you HAVE to put the card in the machine and enter the pin.

I think we have only had a couple of customers use the contactless and that was just because they wanted to see if/how it worked
A2H GO

28th Jan 11 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MJFF88
Very few shops actually accept it (I think its mainly coffee shops) & my understanding is they're quite lenient when it comes to paying you back money which was taken from your account fraudulently.

At the moment, with it being new I wouldn't imagine many places are doing it. But as it becomes more popular im sure more places will adopt the facility. Regardless of how lenient they are at refunding the money its still a hassle of phoning them to get it back when I could have just kept the normal card.
pow
Premium Member

28th Jan 11 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree, all this money to roll out chip and pin and they're thinking about fucking it off for something LESS secure?!?
A2H GO

28th Jan 11 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine someone being in Tesco about to pay their bill, you walk past scanner, wallet in coat pocket, Beep. Without realising you've just paid somebody elses bill.
Fro

28th Jan 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Works in the same was as my oyster travel card for the underground. If i lose it someone can basically travel all over london with it.

Future will be micro chips inside us to store data/money etc
sand-eel

28th Jan 11 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed a chip inserted into your hand and you just wave at the machine to pay "oh hi".
Nismo

28th Jan 11 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rumour has it the next gen iPhone will have NFC built in.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/25/iphone-5-and-ipad-2-will-come-with-nfc-built-in-suggests-well-c/
John

28th Jan 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like Nokia's do just now?
Nismo

28th Jan 11 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont know, but i do know which is the better phone.
A2H GO

28th Jan 11 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF that is cool. If Apple did it, it would actually be implemented well and people might actually use it.
dannymccann

28th Jan 11 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
TBF that is cool. If Apple did it, it would actually be implemented well and people might actually use it.

Would cost a bomb though

[/apple hate]
John

28th Jan 11 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's massive technology elsewhere in the world, Apple are coming in at the back end as usual but it's Apple, must be something new

It's basically just an RFID chip also, it's nothing much to implement.
pow
Premium Member

28th Jan 11 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've been using it here for AGES for staff identifation and cashless catering. Apple just think they are changing the world. Again
Dom

28th Jan 11 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Like Nokia's do just now?

Nokia have been playing around with RFID's in their phones for the last 7/8 years and i think they trialled payment methods using RFID about 4/5 years ago. So as you say, it's nothing new.

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
If Apple did it, it would actually be implemented well and people might actually use it.

Use it perhaps, but that'll be down to the number of people that buy iPhones. Implement it well, not sure, they've struggled with Bluetooth since the first release of the iPhone so i'm not getting my hopes up. Plus Apple will want a cut for the transaction no doubt.

Back on topic, it appears to be a 'cool' idea but i think it's going to be a lot of hassle for banks/credit card companies. The fact that you can purchase £60 quids worth of items without having any form of ID (pin code etc) seems a bit barbaric, especially when you can claim that your card was stolen and claim the cash back.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Contactless Technology? 23 database queries in 0.0126121 seconds