corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC issues

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC issues
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Jan 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a customer's PC in for diagnosis/repairs - Packard Bell with Phenom CPU, 4GB RAM, 512MB video card, Windows Vista etc. etc.

Sometimes it won't POST and sometimes it'll boot into Windows but then the monitor will go blank like it's gone into power saving mode, keyboard frozen HDD has no activity.

I've tested the HDD and it's fine, swapped out the video card (even used the onboard video), still the same.

The only things I can narrow this down to are:

- faulty PSU
- faulty RAM
- faulty motherboard

The blank screen thing also happens if I go into the BIOS and just leave it for a couple of minutes, and if I run Memtest it does the same thing there too. Monitor is definately not at fault as I only have his base unit and plugged it into my own LCD which I know works fine (even if it didn't, I have several spare LCDs anyway lol).

Just waiting on some RAM to be delivered to me today to see if it happens with the new RAM or not.

I have a few spare PSUs but they are 20 pin + 4 pin, his board has a 20 pin + 4 pin + another 4 pin that goes to another part of the board. Can I use a 20 pin > 24 pin adapter and plug the 4 pin connector to the other part of the board if that makes sense?

I forgot to order a spare 20+4pin PSU the other day as I had to use my spare to replace someone else's dead PSU and didn't get remember to order another one in for stock...
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and before anyone says "check the power saving options in the BIOS" - there are none! PB computers are fucking shite
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was pissing me right off this weekend. Kept blue screening then wouldn't even boot into windows. Then it wouldn't even format or reinstall windows Thought the HDD was fucked. Messed around with it for a whole day, playing with spinrite and all sorts. Then I just decided to randomly take one of the sticks of RAM out and now it works fine

Probs no help for you, just thought I'd share. I was almost messaging you
Whittie

31st Jan 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd definately say its RAM, don't bother wasting your time changing the PSU's about untill you've checked the RAM / it gets delivered.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I had that a few times in the past too mate, shitty RAM

You might be able to get a replacement for it for free as some manufacturers offer lifetime warranty if you provide proof of purchase (although I did an RMA on some dead RAM from Corsair and blagged free replacements even though I didn't actually buy the RAM brand new, I got given it free off somebody )
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
I'd definately say its RAM, don't bother wasting your time changing the PSU's about untill you've checked the RAM / it gets delivered.

I'm hoping it's the RAM, he'll be gutted if it is though because this problem occurs with both 2GB sticks, makes no difference if I leave one or the other installed, in any of the 4 RAM slots!

It's DDR3 RAM so quite cheap anyways.
John

31st Jan 11 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's unusual that 2 sticks of RAM fail at the same time, I'd say it's not RAM, although not totally out of the question.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think anything is unsual for this PC

For example, the HDD (a Western Digital 640GB SATA) makes a loud 'worn bearing' sound when it's idle, the whole system just reeks of fail!

I've ruled out the HDD by the way as the problem occurs when it's not installed.

Only the 3 things left that I posted originally that it could be.

Edit: one thing I didn't do is remove/clean CPU and reapply thermal grease, could give that a go and see what happens although temperatures according to BIOS aren't that high at idle. I've already removed all the dust and shit inside the heatsink and fans for the CPU and video card.

[Edited on 31-01-2011 by Sam]
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just thought of something else - when it does this sleep thing, if I press and hold down the power button for like 10-15 seconds nothing happens (on any other PC I've done this on, it will turn the whole system off).

There is no on/off rocker switch on the PSU so I have to literally pull the kettle lead out. Sometimes after waiting a few seconds and plugging back in, I press the power button on the case and the LED around it doesn't light up and nothing happens on screen (although I can hear CPU fan and HDD spooling).

Dead PSU or motherboard maybe?

[Edited on 31-01-2011 by Sam]
Neo

31st Jan 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd of said PSU, sysmptoms similar to a few machines i've recieved back.

No donor you could quickly check it with ?
Sam
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot I had a 24 pin + 4 pin PSU in one of my own PCs so I connected that up, Memtest has 37% completed the memory test so it looks like the PSU is duff (Memtest would just die after a minute or less).

My own PSU is 400w and the one in the Crapard Bell is only 250w so I think I will upgrade him to a proper PSU.

New Poll