corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Type R common faults/ What to look for?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Type R common faults/ What to look for?
MarkSport

User status: Offline
8th Feb 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taking a mate to leeds in an hour (160 mile round trip) to look at a 03 reg type R. What do I look out for on these as faults?
sc0ott

8th Feb 11 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends really. does it come with fsh and receipts for any of the work carried out?
milage?

probably best asking if there is any knocking noises from the suspension and steering etc before going up. or any other problems they know of for that matter because i would be pissed if they told me lies
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

8th Feb 11 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steering rack was problematic on pre facelift from what ove heard.
alan-g-w

8th Feb 11 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it about the synchros that fucks up again? Crunching going from 2nd to 3rd is quite a common fault I'm sure
JM_16v

8th Feb 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Torque
taylorboosh

8th Feb 11 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check for creaky steering
make sure it drives straight and true
check v-tec works right
gear changes should not be crunchy

i hear andrew knows a fair bit.... maybe u2u him
derick-sport

8th Feb 11 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
Torque

haha

pre 2004 will sometimes get a bad vibration noise whilst driving and on tick over, and its something to do with a bearing in the gearbox and is an expensive fix
Corsa_Sport21

8th Feb 11 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF CTR's arent any different when it comes to looking over a car.All i would say i make sure it engages VTEC.The rest is just common sense and stuff you would check when looking over any car.

But aye as said,ask if theyr is any known problems 1st before you travel.
Ant B

8th Feb 11 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my freind has a 1.6 civic not a type r tho,and v tec dosnt work whats the problem
Ash_EP3

8th Feb 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ant B
my freind has a 1.6 civic not a type r tho,and v tec dosnt work whats the problem

Maybe it's not a vtec

In all seriousness that could be due to lack of oil or a fault which has told the ecu to go into 'safe mode'

Faults with the type r (taken from Type R Owners):

No VTEC kick:
If you can’t feel the VTEC kick you need TO CHECK YOUR OIL. The K20A engine can us a bit of oil. Some use more than others, personally mine didn’t use any then suddenly dropped. The VTEC changeover will not happen if the oil pressure is to low so you need to keep an eye on your oil. Also you need to ensure you get the engine warm as well. A good rule of thumb is have the engine running for 10-15mins before you rev past 5800RPM

Rattle from the Engine:
There is a common fault that one of the heatshields rattle at varying revs usually 3-4K RPM. There is a similar rattle that is sometimes caused by the silver covere that has the VTEC label on it. This is well know about at the dealers and will be fixed under warranty no problem

Windscreen Whistle:
This one occurs at high speeds any where between 65-100mph and comes from around the windscreen, sometimes it sounds like air rushing through the wipers.
This is fixed by resetting the windscreen seal.
The problem with this fault is some dealers refuses to test for the fault because they will have to break the speed limit.
You can try another dealer or suggest taking the technician out in the car while you drive.

Whirring sound when you turn the ignition on:
This is generally down to a fault with the headlight level motors. The whirring you can hear is the motors running when not required, but once you start the engine you canÂ’t hear them. You maybe able to stop the noise by trying to adjust the level of you headlights.
There was a recall for this defect so it will be sorted at the dealer without too much problem.

Knocking when steering on full lock:
Now this isnÂ’t always a defect. Some people experience a knocking thought the steering wheel when they have the steering on or near full lock at low speeds ie 5-10mph.
Personally I have heard it only a few times and it doesnÂ’t seem that bad. For other people the fault has been worse and was fixed under warranty by replacing the steering rack. If you feel it doesnÂ’t sound good take it to the dealer.

Drivers Window auto-function doesn’t work:
On the facelift version the drivers window has an auto-function in both the upward and downward direction. This function will stop working if you disconnect the battery for any reason. To reset it close the window then open it again and hold the button in the open position for 5 seconds.

[Edited on 08-02-2011 by Ash_EP3]
MarkSport

8th Feb 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, Just got in. He bought It!

03 plate in silver
no service history though ( just old mot's and v5)
couple of scuffs on wheel and a scuff on rear bumper but apart from that it seemed nice

not bad for £2,800 I suppose
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Feb 11 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above really. Crunchy 2nd and steering rack are the main ones to watch.

Pritty reliable motors. Just make sure the oil is clean and topped up as this is an indication of how its been looked after. you dont want one thats been run low on oil.

Other main one is look for crash damage as there are ALOT of ones that have met something in their lives.

Also dont buy a red one as it will go pink and look like mine

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Feb 11 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh I was too late

Sounds cheap, cat d?

MarkSport

8th Feb 11 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure mate. It hasn't shown on a check?
Ash_EP3

8th Feb 11 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
As above really. Crunchy 2nd and steering rack are the main ones to watch.

Pritty reliable motors. Just make sure the oil is clean and topped up as this is an indication of how its been looked after. you dont want one thats been run low on oil.

Other main one is look for crash damage as there are ALOT of ones that have met something in their lives.

Also dont buy a red one as it will go pink and look like mine

And mine
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Feb 11 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkSport
Not too sure mate. It hasn't shown on a check?

Hmm may not then could be just a good buy

Mark.W

8th Feb 11 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bee's nest stuck in the engine bay.
taylorboosh

9th Feb 11 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These really are falling in price massively

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Type R common faults/ What to look for? 24 database queries in 0.1737890 seconds