corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who on here can make fiberglass parts from scratch?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who on here can make fiberglass parts from scratch?
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Feb 11 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In need of some help, u2u me
ed

15th Feb 11 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you need to know?
Robin
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who is willing to do it for me
ed

15th Feb 11 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of parts are you trying to make?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
15th Feb 11 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From scratch as in not moulded?
Robin
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure Ian, wouldn't even know how to acheive it.

Ed -

The cowlings.

I'd supply the light unit and mechanism assembled, something like this -

http://www.rev9autosport.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1//5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/6/2/628-2.jpg

Would just need the cowls making, like I say, I wouldn't even know where to start.
ed

15th Feb 11 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right, so you have the lights, but no cowlings and you want the cowlings made? Ummmm, that's actually pretty tricky...
Robin
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly.
ed

15th Feb 11 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a little think and I'm sure I can give you a few pointers on how best to do it
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Feb 11 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've nothing to mould from then a lot more difficult.
ed

15th Feb 11 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first stage of mold making is generally always to make a plug - the positive shape of the part you're trying to make.

I think for a part like this you'd want to start with two pieces of thin plywood. With those you can cut an upper and lower template for the upper and lower profiles of the part. You can assume that the part would have parallel upper and lower profiles as you can cut the side profiles after you have made the final part, so you can glue foam in between the templates which will space them appropriately apart.

Then sand the foam back so that you end up with the basic lofted shape of the part with no headlight cut out. Make sure you use some relatively hard foam - Rohacell make stuff that is suitable for this. Some of it is as hard as MDF, some is a bit softer.

The most difficult part will be making the headlight apature. You could either finish the first plug you have made by covering it in filler, sanding it back and painting it. Then you can make mold from it and make a blank headlight off of it. Into that black headlight you can fashion the apature using a jigsaw, plastacine and more filler. Then you can take a mold from that part and then make the finished part from that. The other option is to attempt to cut the apature into the original plug. This is fairly tricky and you often need to make your own little templates and tools to do this, but it means less mold making in the long run.

I suppose there is another option which is to try and make an accurate CAD model of it and find someone to CNC machine a plug for you out of Rohacell.
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Feb 11 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or you could find something similar off another car and get your scrappy trousers on...
RichR
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could do with a pattern,easily achieved and as its a relatively small piece the tool wouldn't be too difficult-your main issues going to be any return flanges or draw angles leading to the need for a split tool.I know it sounds like Im on commission but can I recommend you search carbonmods youtube channel and watch the videos-they were made with the amateur,home laminator in mind.particularly the mould making and laminating videos,whilst they show carbon,the principals are the same for glass-Once you have a pattern,for something of this size Id recommend their mould tool making putty as its so much more simple to use in a home environment!I can't follow the link in your op on my phone so can't see the part your referring to but if its unavailable it may be worth shaping a foam block and them filling the surface to produce a pattern that you can gel boat to form your product from which to take your tooling.its all doable at home,you just need the patience to achieve a good finish.
Robin
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant find a decent pic, but 200SX ones might work? Would be a good starting point at least
RichR
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't see Ed's reply but pretty much sums it up-the time investment is in producing the product-the tool making and finished product are relatively simple but you need to get the product/plug sorted.the better it is,the easier the rest becomes. the most difficult part in my opinion will be making the two parts as exact mirrors by hand.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I scratch after using fibre glass

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
pow
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like a pair as well please
Robin
Premium Member

16th Feb 11 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soo... If I was to get something close to the shape I want as a starting point, would that help matters?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who on here can make fiberglass parts from scratch? 24 database queries in 0.0154359 seconds