corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » People who do sponsored things

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People who do sponsored things
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
10th Mar 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does this annoy anyone else?

I'm not against all this charity stuff, but lets look at it this way.

Say 7 lads do a bungee jump or parachute for "charity" as they say.

They might only make a few hundred in sponsorships, usually from friends, family and work mates.

How much would it cost in the normal world for 7 mates to go out and pay for their own bungee jump, also factoring in transport costs to and from the event, food and drink for that day and any other expenses involved.

i am dubious whether the charity is their real priority, or whether they just want an excuse to do something.

Surely if all the people doing the event put their own money in the pot instead of doing so called fund raisers.

I think a fund raiser should involve the people who donate, not just 7 people off out for a jolly, then demand your money when they get back.

Hammer

10th Mar 11 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what it is I suppose and the charity.

I've done a sponsored football match for a member of another forum who's kid died of a heart defect 3 days after being born. I enjoy playing football, so I suppose I was 'out for a jolly' but between us all we raised 5 grand for Yorkhill Hospital which we wouldn't have by just chipping in our own money.

I can see where you're coming from though, some folk take the piss.
Neo

10th Mar 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate the people that do a "charity" skydive. Raise £400 and then £180 of that gets to the charity. I did a charity skydive and paid for the jump myself, the charity got everything that I raised.
3CorsaMeal

yes, not all, but some.

something like a footy match is good, as i presume people came to watch and donated money
3CorsaMeal

i'm wanting to do a charity smoke 1oz of weed
Ojc

10th Mar 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should have done a charity have 14cm of bowel remove
3CorsaMeal

10th Mar 11 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I should have done a charity have 14cm of bowel remove

exactly that
3CorsaMeal

10th Mar 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you get to keep the bit of arse tube ollie?

i would of dried it out and pretended to people it was a snake skin, then only once they held it would i reveal the truth
Ojc

10th Mar 11 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was in a bad way, really inflamed and enlarged, doubt I'd been able to make snake.

My surgeon said it was the size of a cricket ball
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Mar 11 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
I did a charity skydive and paid for the jump myself, the charity got everything that I raised.

I think that's the way it should be if the activity has a cost associated with it.
SXIBLK

10th Mar 11 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a few mates that do charity events and have also done a few charity things my self but they are usually running/boxing etc etc something that costs little and give you a little bit of a challenge and mainly for causes of local children needing wheelchairs, medication etc but dont like annoying people for sponsors so mainly gathered through freinds family and the odd work colleague

[Edited on 10-03-2011 by SXIBLK]
3CorsaMeal

10th Mar 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a mate dye his hair blonde/white and wear red contact lenses for a week.

he raised £800, he did nothing apart from go to the pub etc
Russ

10th Mar 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a sponsored head shave
Seany

10th Mar 11 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my best mate is doing a charity cycle to raise money for four ones including help4heroes.
hes cycling 1750 miles from monte cassino in italy to edinburgh castle. all equipment has been donated along with around £18000. check it out on facebook. search for tartancassino.

i do agree however some folk take the piss and just fancy a bunjee/skydive what have you.
3CorsaMeal

10th Mar 11 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see thats an achievement, doing something that you don't just turn up for and someone with the training does it all for you. Skydive or bungee jumps don't seem like any work involved
Colin

10th Mar 11 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing a sponsored cycle in the summer for a charity of a girl thats the grand daughter of a recently deceased work mate. Its probably going to cost more to buy al the kit I need, hotels, fuel to get there & back but its something I want to do to challenge myself as well. Coast to coast & back is going to take daily training & is something i've never done anything like before....but i'm determined to do it & raise as much as I can for a good cause plus i'll get fit while doing so.

Agree that getting thrown out of a plane on a tandom sky dive's a bit lame, its not really a challenge any idiot could do it!!
Colin

10th Mar 11 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Seany
my best mate is doing a charity cycle to raise money for four ones including help4heroes.
hes cycling 1750 miles from monte cassino in italy to edinburgh castle. all equipment has been donated along with around £18000. check it out on facebook. search for tartancassino.

i do agree however some folk take the piss and just fancy a bunjee/skydive what have you.

Thats mental, major respect to your mate for doing that, i'm worried about managing 260miles in 4 days I feel like a pussy now!!
Seany

10th Mar 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youll manage that colin we done a short one at my old job, only 55 miles and at an easy pace it only took 2 an 3/4 hours. that included stopping to let a mate fix a wheel.
theres seven of them doing the cycle i think. some famous people sponsoring them aswell iirc.
theyre all in the army hence the help4heroes charity etc.
they done john o groats to lands end last year aswell.
Hammer

10th Mar 11 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Depends what it is I suppose and the charity.

I've done a sponsored football match for a member of another forum who's kid died of a heart defect 3 days after being born. I enjoy playing football, so I suppose I was 'out for a jolly' but between us all we raised 5 grand for Yorkhill Hospital which we wouldn't have by just chipping in our own money.

I can see where you're coming from though, some folk take the piss.

How did you go about making money out of it? each player pay £10 could get you £280 say

Interested in possibily organising something similar

Sponsor sheet for every player, tuck shop with tea and stuff on the sidelines and then folk going round collecting money in buckets and football cards.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » People who do sponsored things 23 database queries in 0.3847799 seconds