corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Remember the cops that crashed that Evo?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Remember the cops that crashed that Evo?
Neo

User status: Offline
16th Mar 11 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
As for drink drivers, if you drink anything at all an drive no matter how little your a selfish prick

Yep, complying with the law makes me a prick
Ben D

16th Mar 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know why there isn't a zero tolerance to intoxication levels whilst driving?
Neo

16th Mar 11 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because there is always some in your body, regardless of whether you drink or not Regardless, they could set the limit much lower, 0.02% of blood content if they wanted to allow for that anomaly.
I think however, that if I go out for a meal with the missus and decide i’m going to have a weak pint with my food that I should then be fine to drive home.
Likewise, if I go to the pub at lunch, take some clients out for a meal and decide I’m going to have a pint. The odds are we’d then be sat there for 3 or 4 hours. Not only the time but the fact we’ve eaten and (as I said before when driving I will drink fosters/Carlsberg) the amount of alcohol consumed essentially has left my system.
To clarify, I don’t condone going to the pub, having a swift Krone and then getting straight back in the car.
Do I still fall into your “selfish prick” category ?
Ben D

16th Mar 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yes your right, but not just that but for example things such as mouthwash could make you look over the limit upon taking a breathalizer test, amongst a host of other reasons.

Well fair enough you may feel completely fine to drive, but are you? just because your willing to take the risk should innocent motorists & pedestrians too? you haven't justified yours or anyone else's drink driving to me.

It's pretty simple if you are planning on driving then do not drink, also you can't seriously be telling me you take clients to a 4 hour meal? [or a meal that lasts 4 hours after you have finished consuming your alcohol?] and what if the meeting is cut short? would you whilst inebriated have the self control or be responsible enough to stay there until you believe you are fit enough to drive once everyone has left?

Not meaning to have a go ut i find it incredibly selfish of people who drink drive risking others lives.
Welsh Dan

16th Mar 11 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mouthwash is less likely to make you fail the test than drinking, on the basis that you don't normally ingest mouthwash. The wait between your last drink and giving a breath sample should normally get rid of most traces.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 11 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if you drink anything at all an drive no matter how little your a selfish prick, end of, you might not be drunk but it is ridiculous to think that 1 pint will have zero affect, obviously it has some affect, lowering your responsiveness etc is dangerous not just to your self but to everybody else too!
Then the same must also be true of driving whilst tired, driving whilst distracted by passengers, driving an unroadworthy vehicle, driving inconsiderately, suffering a momentary lapse of concentration, driving in a manner incompatible with the road conditions, driving without regard for the safety of other road users, I could go on.

Facts are you can be a selfish prick in a car in a variety of interesting and ingenious ways and it is not correct to have a stance on people drinking what amounts to very little, whilst avoiding any other single issue that puts yourself or other road users in danger.

I've been tired at the wheel of a 4t motorhome towing a 2t trailer on a busy motorway before now, and I've had a pint after work and driven the 6 miles home at 7.30pm.

And one has some social stigma that I'm going to kill everyone around me and the other has no such stigma, no million pound campaigns and no bandwagons on the internet.

Ultimately it is in the first instance up to the driver to make an appropriate judgement call as to their appropriateness to drive, something which is still possible after the evil alcohol has waived by your nose and impaired your judgement to the level of that of a reckless mass murderer.

[Edited on 16-03-2011 by Ian]
John

16th Mar 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has it not been shown that 1 drink can sometimes make you a better driver because you are going out of your way to be careful, but not that much that you are distracted by it?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 11 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
because your willing to take the risk should innocent motorists & pedestrians too?

would you whilst inebriated have the self control or be responsible enough to stay there until you believe you are fit enough to drive once everyone has left?
Can we get this in context, it's one pint.

I appreciate it's fairly remarkable to say 'just one pint was all it took to kill that guy', makes a great slogan but that has no basis in statistics.

I am all for careful and considerate driving and I don't think small amounts of alcohol are our worse problem.
richc

16th Mar 11 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
if you drink anything at all an drive no matter how little your a selfish prick, end of, you might not be drunk but it is ridiculous to think that 1 pint will have zero affect, obviously it has some affect, lowering your responsiveness etc is dangerous not just to your self but to everybody else too!
Then the same must also be true of driving whilst tired, driving whilst distracted by passengers, driving an unroadworthy vehicle, driving inconsiderately, suffering a momentary lapse of concentration, driving in a manner incompatible with the road conditions, driving without regard for the safety of other road users, I could go on.

Facts are you can be a selfish prick in a car in a variety of interesting and ingenious ways and it is not correct to have a stance on people drinking what amounts to very little, whilst avoiding any other single issue that puts yourself or other road users in danger.

I've been tired at the wheel of a 4t motorhome towing a 2t trailer on a busy motorway before now, and I've had a pint after work and driven the 6 miles home at 7.30pm.

And one has some social stigma that I'm going to kill everyone around me and the other has no such stigma, no million pound campaigns and no bandwagons on the internet.

Ultimately it is in the first instance up to the driver to make an appropriate judgement call as to their appropriateness to drive, something which is still possible after the evil alcohol has waived by your nose and impaired your judgement to the level of that of a reckless mass murderer.

[Edited on 16-03-2011 by Ian]

Ben D

16th Mar 11 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
because your willing to take the risk should innocent motorists & pedestrians too?

would you whilst inebriated have the self control or be responsible enough to stay there until you believe you are fit enough to drive once everyone has left?
Can we get this in context, it's one pint.

I appreciate it's fairly remarkable to say 'just one pint was all it took to kill that guy', makes a great slogan but that has no basis in statistics.

I am all for careful and considerate driving and I don't think small amounts of alcohol are our worse problem.

Ian do you mean to say 1 pint has zero affect on a person? I drink very rarely now, which is a contrast as i used to drink quite heavily, but as a result i don't have the same tolerance since i stopped, and i know without a doubt that i wouldn't be as safe behind the wheel of a car after 1 pint as i would be had i not had a drink.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon either, it's just my views, It is frustratingly selfish that people not fit to drive do so endangering people, whether it is 1 pint of 5 it is just as bad.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 11 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not at all suggesting that and would be incorrect to do so.

I'm suggesting that the degree to which it affects you is comparable to many other things, none of which undergo the same levels of scrutiny or criticism.
nick_sri

16th Mar 11 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obviously one pint isnt as bad as five pints as its legal to have one pint and drive?
Ben D

16th Mar 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nick_sri
obviously one pint isnt as bad as five pints as its legal to have one pint and drive?

That is a seriously inaccurate statement.

Also just to note you can be arrested for 'Being unfit to drive through drink' without being over the prescribed drink drive limit

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Remember the cops that crashed that Evo? 23 database queries in 0.0102971 seconds