corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Backing up in Windows 7

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Backing up in Windows 7
kz

User status: Offline
16th Apr 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello... finally got round to getting an external HDD to back up with. Just typed 'backup' into the search bar and used the result 'Backup and Restore'. Now it's created a backup file, a folder called 'WindowsImageBackup' and and BIN file called MediaID.bin.

This is not the usual way I would back up... would usually just copy over all my files and folders I wanted so they're accessible by any other computer. Is this way of backing up a good way to go about it? Also, I had 221Gb of stuff to backup, which has taken up 394Gb of space on my external drive what's that about.

One more thing, I wish to create a partition. I used to use Partition Magic but apparently support for that after XP is dead... there's a newer one called Partition Wizard, but, again I thought I'd just type 'partition' into the search bar and it came up with 'Create and format hard drive partitions' so it seems there's something built into 7!? Do I need to create a VHD to continue? Haven't really had a play with it yet... thanking you
pow
Premium Member

16th Apr 11 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought Win7 made a VHD file?
Sam
Premium Member

17th Apr 11 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Windows backup puts everything in one massive file I'm afraid.
kz

17th Apr 11 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as it doesn't throw up a wobbly that I have a different hard drive space now, partitioned it... Microsoft thing was shit but Partition Wizard worked a dream, if a little slow.

New Poll