corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mixing Oil / VAG longlife oil

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mixing Oil / VAG longlife oil
Mertin

User status: Offline
24th May 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was using castrol edge 5W 40 in the ibiza for topping it up between services. Now switched to longlife servicing and the castrol spec oil is 5W30 ( going by castrols website). Would using the 5W40 for topping up be a big no no or have very little affect? Dont want to go buying more oil if the 2l of stuff I have in the sheds going to be fine

[Edited on 24-05-2011 by Mertin]
Dave

24th May 11 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just stick to using 5w40 and steer clear of longlife servicing, regular oil changes are key to keeping the engine in good condition and the 5w40 is a better oil as it doesn't get as thin as the 5w30 when it's been in there for a while.
DaveyLC

24th May 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Castrol oil = shit..

Also why do you want to run 5w40?? Running 10w40 will help your engine last longer!
Mertin

24th May 11 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats so shit about castrol oil?
I just use what is reccomended for my engine, and it was 5W40. The longlife oil is designed to last 20k, im sure vw and audi researched it before offering longlife services, if it was going to knacker engines and result in warranty claims im sure they wouldnt offer it
richc

24th May 11 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Whats so shit about castrol oil?
I just use what is reccomended for my engine, and it was 5W40. The longlife oil is designed to last 20k, im sure vw and audi researched it before offering longlife services, if it was going to knacker engines and result in warranty claims im sure they wouldnt offer it

Our caddy has had 2 services in 85k. Nailed from cold everyday its fine
Mattb

24th May 11 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can top up with upto 1 litre of non longlife oil before you start effecting the oil quality and reducing your service interval

Mertin

24th May 11 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
You can top up with upto 1 litre of non longlife oil before you start effecting the oil quality and reducing your service interval

Just what I was looking for
Think iv topped it up once in 10k so should be fine for another 5-10k

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mixing Oil / VAG longlife oil 23 database queries in 0.0087020 seconds