corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Do you get any grace on when your driving license runs out?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Do you get any grace on when your driving license runs out?
Kippers

User status: Offline
27th May 11 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got a reminder to say my license runs out 11 July.

Im going on hols and not back till 9th July and i need my license for hire car when im away.

Wondering do they give you any grace period so if i get pulled over on the 12th of July for arguements sake and i say its been sent of, will i be ok or is it strict that as soon as its run out thats it!?

Thanks
Brett
Premium Member

27th May 11 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never even crossed my mind I'd have to renew my license How frequent is that? Mine's still registered to a place where I lived 3 or 4 houses ago
Baskey

27th May 11 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine ran out a year ago and I havnt renewed it yet. Really need to pull my finger out however I have had a producer and they didn't say anything at the police station. I also had to send it off to get 3 points added and again no mention it was out of date
3CorsaMeal

27th May 11 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lasts ten years Brett proper con to get more money from drivers

Did mine this year
Brett
Premium Member

27th May 11 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, best check the date on mine then

Question, if I had to update my address anyway, would this count as a renewal? So I'd be good to go for another 10yrs. Should really sort my address out as it causes problems every time I get pulled over.
Baskey

27th May 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

Did mine this year

What do I need to do mate, I'm paranoid now, mine expired well over a year ago.

emicen

27th May 11 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kippers
Just got a reminder to say my license runs out 11 July.

Im going on hols and not back till 9th July and i need my license for hire car when im away.

Wondering do they give you any grace period so if i get pulled over on the 12th of July for arguements sake and i say its been sent of, will i be ok or is it strict that as soon as its run out thats it!?

Thanks

Sure I remember reading something about a month being a sort of official grace period.

If stopped by the Police they can fine you £1000 for your licence being expired but you wouldn't get points etc because you aren't driving disqualified. Its at the Police's discretion somewhat, or perhaps more accurately, depends if they notice and choose to act.

More worrying one is if you were involved in an accident your insurance company can refuse to pay you due to driving with an expired licence. When I was driven in to last year, I had to supply copies of my licence and photocard as part of the claim as did my flatmate this year so looks like its one they are now checking as any excuse not to pay is a good one for them!
Conway563

27th May 11 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Question, if I had to update my address anyway, would this count as a renewal? So I'd be good to go for another 10yrs. Should really sort my address out as it causes problems every time I get pulled over.

No, I updated mine at the start of the year and looking at it, it runs out in 5 years
Brett
Premium Member

27th May 11 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see me waiting until mine expires to change the address then Not paying twice.
emicen

27th May 11 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

No, I updated mine at the start of the year and looking at it, it runs out in 5 years

I'd enquire with them why. Renewed mine last year, dates on it are valid April 13th 2010 to April 12th 2020.
emicen

27th May 11 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsatdi
I'd be careful with an expired license get pulled and it will show as an expired substantive on PNC and you'll go home with three points and a 60 fine and face your car getting lifted for driving other than in accordance with your drivers license

No mention of points and conclusion getting a car impounded is incorrect for the offence in question:
http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/28954-driving-on-an-expired-photocard-licence/
3CorsaMeal

27th May 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

Did mine this year

What do I need to do mate, I'm paranoid now, mine expired well over a year ago.

i got sent a load of forms in the post with a letter to remind me it was going to expire, i filled out the forms, gave them some photos, sent back current license and some money, then got a new one after a week or so.
Fonz
Premium Member

27th May 11 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be accurate your licence hasnt run out it is simply the validity of the photocard.

your licence is still valid and you are correct in stating you have a valid licence.

it is only the licence ID has expired....
corsatdi

27th May 11 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said above it depends on how dvla show the record and I have seen then show a record as expired because of a photocard.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th May 11 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sound like a proper cunt of a police officer
Brett
Premium Member

27th May 11 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gtitim

27th May 11 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine ran out - sent the form, a cheque for £20 and a new picture off to DVLA - never mentioned the gap between expiry and renewal (3 months). I only realised when i used my licence as ID on a bank transaction and the cashier told me. Not something you regularly check.
Kippers

27th May 11 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
corsatdi

27th May 11 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kippers
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Yep thats about right!
Welsh Dan

27th May 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Updating your address won't renew the licence. It will still have the same expiry date.

However, it is free to change your address so its only the one fee you'll have to pay.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Do you get any grace on when your driving license runs out? 23 database queries in 0.0170369 seconds