corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New car time. Astras?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New car time. Astras?
jibjob

User status: Offline
6th Jun 11 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeing as the corsa died a massive MOT fail death i think its time to get something a bit newer and start again.

I've been looking at Astras around 2005ish. Not looking at VXR's or SRI's just plain bog standard 1.4, 1.6, possibly 1.8 and the diesel range. Maybe even the vans at a push.

I was just wondering what to look out for with the different engines, spec levels, optional extras, etc. Also peoples first hand experiences of them as an everyday car as the only real chance i got to drive one was a courtesy car for a week but it seemed a fairly nice car to drive even if it was slightly harder to reverse due to the smaller rear window.

All good points and bad points for any of the models mentioned would be great so i can get an idea of what to look for and what to stay away from.

Bonney

6th Jun 11 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was you I would look at the SXI's or the design. The SXI was the sort of cheaper sporty version and the design was a higher end model with a half leather interior.

Had a go in a 1.7 diesel one and it seemed to pull pretty well, Unsure what bhp it was.

I'd stay away from the 1.4 as it is underpowered for the size of the car.
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Bonney. Heard anything about reliability issues or anything? I've heard a few things about the reliability of the diesels in the vans and Vectras.
l15ter

6th Jun 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an Astra 1.7 cdti and its not bad to drive, it pulls good for the size of engine and on the plus side I get cheapper insurance and tax with good mpg. However they do have there down side, loss of coolant.
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say loss of coolant do you mean its a bad loss or just steady?
Gareth T

6th Jun 11 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate has a 1.6 sxi, nice cars
alan t

6th Jun 11 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a 56 plate 1.6, its the club model. I bought it to try and be more grown up as its a 5 door model, but to be honest with you find it really dull and boring. Find it quite poor on fuel as well.

I bought mines in october but am looking to change it already, thats really how boring it is.
l15ter

6th Jun 11 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
When you say loss of coolant do you mean its a bad loss or just steady?

Well a bad loss if a coolant pipe splits, but that has only happened 3 times to me and once was a steady leak which was down to a pipe coming out of the water pump.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 astra sxis are bloody thirsty!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It seems all the petrol astras are quite thirsty actually from what i've read/heard. I think the diesel route seems the better option now.
Bonney

6th Jun 11 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only issue i have heared of is the horn stopping working, But there is a recall to sort this out.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New car time. Astras? 24 database queries in 0.0119522 seconds