corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » driving in mainland europe and insurance,

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author driving in mainland europe and insurance,
gazza808

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Today me and my mate decided to book the eurotunnel to france for a road trip at the weekend,
When driving over there do you have to carry your insurance cert.?
As after booking we both realised we have no idea where they are.
CorsAsh

23rd Jun 11 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on your insurance. Some give a 365 day "green card" so you're basically covered whenever you go over. Others still issue a physical green card for limited periods but lots don't bother now.

Only thing is normally you need to ring them and tell them you're going over to the continent. In all the time I've been in Europe, I've never been asked for my papers by the way.

One more thing, don't forget your high-vis vests need to be inside the car with you.
Jed D

23rd Jun 11 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure but my mother lives in spain and over there they insure the car, not the driver, anyone can drive any car aslong as the car's insured and they have the owners permission. probs useless fact but...
gazza808

23rd Jun 11 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheeers CorsAsh, seems it's just these sites scaremongering people to take all this stuff lol, rang admiral they said I didn't have to inform them going to the countries I am, just said take a note of their contact number and my policy number so that's sorted
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Jun 11 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to this latest ring trip and completely forgot about car insurance spent the whole time there uninsured didnt think about it til the day before we left
CorsAsh

23rd Jun 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically you were covered Steve, it's a requirement that UK insurers provide the minimum possible cover for vehicles in Europe (i.e. Third Party Only)

If you had a prang there, they may have not covered your own losses or tried to recover their costs from paying the third party involved from you.

edit: not ALL countries in Europe I should add, usually just the Western ones. If you're heading to deepest darkest Albania they will want to know about it

[Edited on 23-06-2011 by CorsAsh]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » driving in mainland europe and insurance, 23 database queries in 0.0091259 seconds