corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network/SBS2003 - Installation and Mail help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network/SBS2003 - Installation and Mail help
Dom

User status: Offline
8th Aug 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently just moved offices to a 'serviced office' building and I’m having to sort the network out. Each office, or suite as they call them, has a network cabinet with a patch panel which has the numerous sockets in the office and a single port for the 'external' network.

Now our gear consists of a SBS2003 server (single NIC), Linksys router (will be getting replaced in the next month), Netgear switch (possibly getting replaced) and a handful of workstations.
Setup is the same as our last office - External connection to Linksys; SBS server (handles DHCP, exchange, local DNS) is off the Linksys likewise the switch with the workstations hanging off this.

The network details given was - a gateway of 10.1.66.1, two DNS addresses (in the 194.* range) and then a DHCP range between 10.1.66.1 - 10.1.66.250. Apparently our external facing IP is 10.1.66.249, I queried this as it's clearly an internal address rather than external (we requested a static IP) but we won't be able to verify any of this until tomorrow. I did do a 'MyIP' on our connection and it appears to come from a 217.33.*.* (doesn't appear to change), no idea yet if this is OUR static IP or not.
I also have no idea what their network is for the building or how we're connected, although I’m thinking each suite/office is VLAN'd off?

I've set the network up as to above, with the router being set to a static IP of 10.1.66.249 (our apparent external address), routers gateway to 10.1.66.1, DNS to the dns address.
The SBS2003 server SMTP connector was changed from NTLBusiness smtp server (previous connection at our old place) to 'Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector'. Likewise I updated the DNS addresses, via the internet connection wizard, to the above.

Now all the workstations can access the internet, everyone can send email internally, everyone can SEND email externally, but no one can RECIEVE email. I've tried both 217. and 10. IPs for our domains MX record but nada.

Basically i just wanted to make sure that i'm not barking up the wrong tree, I’ve gone about it correctly with regards to the network and SBS box and that the email receive issue is simply down to them not setting up the external static IP address correctly (and in turn our MX records being wrong) or even assigning one to our office/suite?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

8th Aug 11 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have an ADSL line going into the router with a standard BT line?

As the Gateway should be the LAN IP of the router and the WAN should be the static IP.

+ Changing your MX records would take at least 24/48 maximum to propergate to all DNS servers in the cloud.

What is the domain your trying going onto mx toolbox and run a couplr of the forms on there.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

8th Aug 11 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They may be doing some funky routing to enable you to have a public facing IP Locally too
Dom

8th Aug 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're just given a ethernet connection on the patch panel to the 'outside' (as well as patches to the network sockets in the office); what the network setup is in the building i have no idea. Although i'm guessing it'll be multiple lines going in to the bulding (there appears to be 30 odd IPs in the 217.33.* range that go to this building), load-balanced with each office being vlan'd.

MX records seem to be changing ok, i've been using intoDNS and MX Toolbox all day and can see hostname and IP changes ok after a few minutes.

You're right in that some funky routing is going on, especially if the 10.1.66.1 address is apparently our 'external' facing address
John

8th Aug 11 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better getting to speak to somebody to find out exactly what they are doing, could be as simple as they've not forwarded port 25, can you telnet into the mail server?

I'd also find out the ISP and use their mail relay, routing via DNS will cause you problems with being flagged as spam at some point.
Dom

8th Aug 11 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can telnet to 25, whether or not it's our server i'm not sure. Hopefully they'll shed some light onto what the external ip is and we'll take it from there.

They don't offer a relay server what so ever, was the first thing i asked about; so it'll either be DNS (surely this won't be a problem if we have our own static IP?) or sort something out on our VDS box.
John

8th Aug 11 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ISP they use should have one even if they say they don't.

Some mail servers don't like it coming from an IP address instead of a bigger relay.
Dom

9th Aug 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After another 5/6hrs and numerous calls to get our actual static IP i finally managed to get the router to play nicely; all the issues were caused due to the router blocking external mac address requests First time i've heard of that though......

New Poll