corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone bought one of these ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone bought one of these ?
DERV-POWER

User status: Offline
13th Aug 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may aswell use old bog rolls taped together
Tomm R

13th Aug 11 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a RS Turbo a few years ago which came with a show cage in the back of it and it was awful.

Flimsy, tacky, flakey and just horrible really! Anyone who will notice it will also notice it is a fake jobby. Used to park it in the furthest parking bay from the shop!

Dont bother with one! i would hate to see what would happen to one in a bump.
scottyp1989

13th Aug 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i meant the bit you said about bolting it in you said the bolts would shear on a side inpact, show cage or not that can still happen. and chris why cant you make your own cage? how do you think places like custom cages do it.
DAZ1985

13th Aug 11 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bet this would fit

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3122462.htm

may need a quick trim n the odd weld
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
i meant the bit you said about bolting it in you said the bolts would shear on a side inpact, show cage or not that can still happen. and chris why cant you make your own cage? how do you think places like custom cages do it.

2 bolts in to the seat belt mechanism mount and that's it, if they were to twist with force the bracket would just snap off the cage. No chance of that happenign with a cage that's fully welded in or has 30+ bolts clamp it down.
Kippers

13th Aug 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Cage

NOT A CAGE!

[Edited on 13-08-2011 by Kippers]
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're so light it's laughable, you could probably throw that show cage a fair distance by just picking it up with one finger.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Custom cages do it with the proper equiptment, I think Chris is going off the assumption that someone who's asking about a showcage, isn't going to have use of a pipe bender and therefore, he won't really be able to make his own cage.

Easiest option if you can weld or know someone who can is the CL2 kit in this link
tom130691
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mike was looking for a rear only for ages would like X diagonals realy but i suppose i could add them in
Tomm R

13th Aug 11 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The amount of workmanship which goes into a cage produced at places like Custom Cages and Fabri Cage are not the sort of thing you would be able to recreate at the end of the garden in a garage unless you have years worth of fabrication experience and a equal amount of experience in the design process of a component like a roll cage along with thousands of pounds worth of workshop tools.

The Show cages i have dealt with are not exactly sturdy. They are usually very poorly made and are made of a very thin Ali material. i would imagine that with the cage removed from the car if you sat on the main bar which would run along the roof of the car the cage would buckle under your weight. I have never tried this as there seems to be a ripe market for them so i have always sold them on!

Personally i would say don't bother. Off the top of my head i can't think of anything which has "Show" in the title which is worth buying?
Corsa_Sport21

13th Aug 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
quote:

so whats the point of a proper bolt in cage?

A proper bolt or weld in cage is completely different to a show cage, you can't even compare the 2. A proper cage is fully strengthened, bolted to welded plates on the car and will make the car a lot more rigid far more safer if you're in an accident. There's a minimum of 30 bolts bolted to the car, that's how many mine had.

[Edited on 13-08-2011 by DannyB]

A 30 point cage??
Mike
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
nice one mike was looking for a rear only for ages would like X diagonals realy but i suppose i could add them in

Yeah, adding another diagonal would be a doddle. I'm guessing you've seen my cage? I just bought the CL3 kit off that page then around 10 metres of straight CDS and made all the rear section and door bars ourselves. Making up the straights is just time consuming, getting the ends profiled right but it'll save you money
Mike
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
quote:

so whats the point of a proper bolt in cage?

A proper bolt or weld in cage is completely different to a show cage, you can't even compare the 2. A proper cage is fully strengthened, bolted to welded plates on the car and will make the car a lot more rigid far more safer if you're in an accident. There's a minimum of 30 bolts bolted to the car, that's how many mine had.

[Edited on 13-08-2011 by DannyB]

A 30 point cage??

Probably a 10 point, 4 bolts in each foot then some to tie into the roof/pillars.
DannyB
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Mike said.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 11 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris F
You can't make a cage!

Erm... Yes you can.
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Aug 11 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of hard work though, much easier for the average Joe to buy one already made and just get it fitted.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone bought one of these ? 23 database queries in 0.0134201 seconds