corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » aquarium help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author aquarium help
Jake

User status: Offline
18th Aug 11 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 130litre aquarium with tropical fish. my mum bought it, and really i dont think we know what we're doing with regards to maintainence. the fish have been happy for about a year now but recently the water has got cloudy, i read up and thought it was best to change the water as it hadnt been done for a while. i emptied out half of it with a syphon and cleaned the gravel, refilled with warm tap water and added some de-chlorine liquid but its still a white cloudy colour, and the other day one of the mollies got dropsy and i didnt want it to infect any other fish so took it out and squashed it . its got an overhead filter with these weird hulahoop things at the bottom and a plastic spongy material above that but its quite 'open'. ive been doing a lot of reading up but its difficult to take it all in when every website comes out with something different. im a bit worried as today even the plecos were flying up to the surface for air which has never happened

basically i need some guidlines to stick to when it comes to keeping the water quality correct and what treatments i should use in the water along with what water temperature it should be at.
i am going to buy a ph testing kit tomorrow with a digital thermometer

cheers!
chloe16v

18th Aug 11 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your best bet would be to take a sample of water to your nearest aquarist shop to be tested, most places test water for free
Jake

18th Aug 11 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do they? good tip cheers
WATSON

18th Aug 11 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been keeping malawis for some time now just like any other tropical fish but look 10x better, Spent a fair bit on my setup too (close to 1k ) 5FT tank ect

Your filter sounds like it isnt doing its job, id replace with either a very good internal or external

Simple water change every 6 weeks, id stay away from all that treatment crap, never used it myself even with water changes.

gravel is ur problem aswell it collects all the crap, i use sand looks much better and way better to clean aswell
Jake

19th Aug 11 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought a master kit to test ph, ammonia, no2 and no3 levels. the no3 levels are about 60ppm. the shop i got it from advise it should be 20ppm and the kit said 40ppm so im going to change 25% every two days to try and get it back down. everything else was spot on. they also said the worst thing ive done is clean the filter with tap water
SXi_Tim

21st Aug 11 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same problem. As watson said i bought a decent external filter and within hours it was crystal clear, i clean it once a month with tap water and its fine.
Jake

21st Aug 11 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what external filter should i get? the tetratec ex700 looks good but is there anything cheaper but just as good at filtering?
Dan
Premium Member

21st Aug 11 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got money for a filter punk, but not a polisher...

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Jake

21st Aug 11 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im getting a list together to buy it when ive got money coming in
Dan
Premium Member

21st Aug 11 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i hope im top of this list!

Jake

21st Aug 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

top of the list is dusting my hand and giving you a slap
Dan
Premium Member

21st Aug 11 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prehaps you need to dust them off and do some fucking work so you have ££

WATSON

22nd Aug 11 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run the tetratec FX5 and had no problems,

Would be overkill for the size of ur tank, the 700 would be idea for you.

New Poll